1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinning carrots

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Piggywiggy, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Piggywiggy

Piggywiggy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I stupidly didn't sew my carrots properly because I didn't know how/what I was meant to do with them(yes I am that much of a noob)

They have all grown very close together in clumps and I've read that thinning them will help. I also read it's possible to replant the ones you take out if done carefully.

Can anyone advise me in idiot terms how to go about doing this salvaging as much as possible please.

They are in deep pots if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,020
    It doesn't matter if they are a bit overcrowded as you can pull out and eat any thinnings. You can keep doing that for as long as you want - its difficult to advise exactly without seeing how thickly they are growing. Obviously each individual carrot needs room to grow to full size. You can't replant carrot thinnings.

3. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Generally speaking, transplanting carrots is not a good idea IMHO. But each year, I do transplant a few myself from crowded areas of my rows into any gaps that might have appeared (I grow them in a raised bed). The important things to remember are you must be very gentle and be prepared to accept that some won't survive the process. Most of all, don't try and handle them individually like you would say, leeks. Lift them, move them and transplant them in a plug of compost/soil.

This is my method.

First of all, water them well.

Then, if they're not too big yet, you can dig a small clump of them out in a little plug of moist compost using two hand trowels or big old spoons. You then place the seedlings, complete with their plug of compost, into holes prepared in advance with a dibber in new compost in another pot (or in a row if planting in the soil). Then firm them in and water them again carefully. You'll need to thin them out again as they get bigger.

4. Piggywiggy

Piggywiggy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you!

I'm quite nervous about this whole growing things lark and really don't know what I'm meant to be doing.

Fingers crossed it all goes well

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Like young Flinty says, water well first but also spray a bit of parafin about to throw off the scent to the carrot fly(Legal bit here: I am not suggesting using parafin as an insecticide,merely a detterent)

6. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    HiPiggywiggy and welcome to the forum.
    Yes, it sounds as if you've sown your carrots a bit thick. Try not to worry too much about them.
    Carrots don't like to be transplanted so I would forget about that.
    Usually carrots will just elbow each other out of the way if they are too thick, so you might just get a big pot of small carrots.
    Rather than thin them you could just take scissors and cut the tops off the ones you don't want - but that might just attract carrot fly.
    I think I would leave them and settle for the small carrots.
    We are talking about carrots - so relax and enjoy whatever you get from the pots.

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,020
    Don't fret Piggywiggy, you can't go far wrong with them. It should be fun not stressful, you won't learn without making a few mistakes :thumb: