1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

This is going to be a bit long winded, but i need help

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Dopey, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Dopey

Dopey Heathrow Nr Outer Mongolia (sunny south)

LGV Films
    Ratings:
    +100
    I just want to know (although most of it is too late now as I have done the deed already, anyway.....

On my allotment my very good neighbour has very large polly tunnel and he gives me the use of it (lucky me) but I water his stuff for him while I'm there and do some bits and bobs for him when I have the time, so today i did a lot of seeding, is this the right time for it?

I got all the seed from Ebay, all at 99p each from a guy (premier_seeds_direct) and free post, so I have seeded, sorry I copy and paste as there's so much!!!

ITALIAN COURGETTE - BIANCA DI TRIESTE - 25 FINEST SEEDS
    AUBERGINE - EGG PLANT - BLACK BEAUTY 250 ITALIAN SEEDS
    ONION - RED CREOLE - 1000 SEEDS
    PEA - KELVEDON WONDER - 300 SEEDS (EARLY AND MAIN CROP)
    LETTUCE - TOM THUMB - 1200 FINEST SEEDS
    CLIMBING FRENCH BEAN - BLUE LAKE - 150 SEEDS
    LEEK - BULGARIAN GIANT - 600 FINEST SEEDS
    CABBAGE SAVOY - DI VERONA - 800 FINEST ITALIAN SEEDS
    ONION - DI SAVONA - 1000 FINEST ITALIAN SEEDS
    CAULIFLOWER - SELF BLANCHE - 600 SEEDS
    ONION BUNCHING (SPRING) - WHITE LISBON - 1600+ SEEDS
    LETTUCE - ROMAINE - PARIS ISLAND COS - 2000 SEEDS
    CELERY - DEL VALDARNO - 3000 FINEST ITALIAN SEEDS

That is what I have put into seed trays already, can I also do these or do I have to wait for a few more weeks or months for this lot? (obviously all the about I didn't plant ALL the seeds, just a few so I can stagger the crop, so plant again in a few weeks or months time so I get a steady crop

When do I seed these in the polly tunnel?

CARROT - SCARLET NANTES - 3000+ FINEST SEEDS I think these go in to the ground directly and not in the polly tunnel?

ONION SETS - RED KARMEN - 250GM (APPROX 50-55 QUALITY SETS)

When to I put these in the ground???

Flowers and herbs

LAVENDER - COMMON ENGLISH - 600 SEEDS
    CORN - FIELD POPPY MIXED - 2GM ~ 14,000 FINEST SEEDS
    SUNFLOWER - VELVET QUEEN - 40 FINEST SEEDS
    SWEET PEA - ROYAL FAMILY MIX - 60 FLOWER SEEDS
    DIGITALIS - FOXGLOVE - SILVER FOX - 3000 FINEST SEEDS
    STRAWBERRY - FOUR SEASONS - 200 FINEST SEEDS

I'm putting these in a raised bed
    OREGANO ITALIAN - ORIGANUM VULGARE - 2500 SEEDS
    HERBS - MARJORAM SWEET - 3000 SEEDS

Im sorry for my ignorance and lack of knowledge, but I'm a total numpty, any help at all will be very much appreciated, thanks

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I'm not a Veggie man but the guys will be here soon to help you out!:biggrin:

3. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    It is quite early to sow aubergine, courgette, french bean and sunflowers but you might get away with it in a polytunnel. If not, you've very wisely saved some seed so you can have another crack in early April.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    It's a bit early for some of those seeds, here is a useful calendar to help you:
    http://jungleseeds.co.uk/VegetableCalendar.htm

There should have been instructions on the seed packets giving timings, also some of them need a bit of heat to germinate. Hopefully you only sowed a few of each and can make some more sowings later in the season.

Yes, some seeds need direct sowing, carrots for instance don't like being transplanted.

Onion sets can go in now and don't need to be in the tunnel.

5. moonraker

moonraker Gardener

Ratings:
    +243
    Hi
    one of the mistakes made by most "shall we say keener rather than more experienced gardeners"
    Is the need to rush, to be first to get the growing started, And it's these gardeners that pay the price,
    March is known for the cold winds, the drop in night temps, and for catching people out who feel because we've had a few weeks of warmer weather we're on our way to an early start And then its strikes, all the outside plants that have not been mulched or covering in fleece etc get the frost treatment and suffer.

Whats that saying dont cast a clout until March is out???? And its very true.

But the odd thing is by waiting a few more weeks you'll catch up the growing time anyway.
    Ref seed packet info, It's only a guide and as ive said before these seeds pkts go all over the country north & south, ask yourself this question, our the people in the north going to have the same weather at the same time as those in the south???

"Only a guide"

6. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    Don't despair, your seeds are under cover which means you can sow earlier and many of the ones you mention are fairly hardy anyway.
    If it was possible you could take the most tender (aubergine, courgette, french bean and sunflowers ) into the house and keep them on a bright window sill for a while, avoiding cold nights. Otherwise follow plan B.

7. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    For weeks it's been mild up here in Cumbria, everything except the date was telling us it's spring. Last night and tonight, we had frost...

Polytunnels are good they heat up quick in the daytime, but cool/chill at night..your problem Dopey, is one of protection.

Some people here (on GC) have heated propogators, and heated greenhouses to get plants growing, or conservatories. Some use Kitchen windowsills, airing cupboards and even spare rooms in the house..some fitted with growing lights too. It's all about giving seedlings heat and light to make the plants grow at a time of year when natural conditions cannot do it.

Your Onion, Spring onion and Leek seed can be sown in trays (I use mushroom containers from the supermarket for these) now as can a few Lettuce and a few peas for early crops. If you can sow seeds and keep them warm ie a windowsill or a heated propogator then sowing Aubergines now would be advantageous, Onion sets can be planted outside now (should be planted so you can just see the top of the bulb).

Sweet peas can be sown into empty toilet roll inners full of compost. Fill three quarters full with compost, water well and fill up with dry compost from the bag, place one seed in each and push down into the compost with your finger to the first knuckle (about half inch), cover with newspaper and leave until the first seed germinates, then remove paper, do not water again until the first seed germinates.

Foxgloves can be sown now but will not flower until next year, I normally cheat with these and sow them in Autumn, and they always flower the next year (be careful, very tiny seed and it's easy to sow too many!)

Cabbage and Cauliflower I sow towards the end of this month.

That should keep you busy for a while, and if it does not have a good read around on this forum, for example search for "Cabbage" and see how other people sow and grow theirs.

Steve...:)

8. Dopey

Dopey Heathrow Nr Outer Mongolia (sunny south)

LGV Films
    Ratings:
    +100
    Thanks so much to everyone, its good to know its not a compete disaster I think I was a little eager to sow as much as I could all in a day, like I say I still have plenty of seed and I have only sowed 10% of what I have, so I will do more early next month, so if some of this fails I can give it another go
    I have fleece covering all the seed in the poly and its sitting on a bed (in trays) of sharp sand and grit, which all helps drainage and to keep the heat in as well,
    I have read all the above and will take note and learn, but its not an easy thing to do, as I'm not and never been a gardener, and I think I will have to slow down and swat up on what I'm doing
    The calendar is very helpful, and I will follow that as close as I can (and i take not on where you are in the UK and different temperatures in the north and south) the packets I got didn't have sowing dates on them, so there was nothing to even give me a hint on when to seed them

Thanks everyone for your very good advice tips and help

• Like Like x 2