1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on what I could do please!?

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by rqy99g, Apr 3, 2017.

1. rqy99g

rqy99g Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I bought a bungalow a couple of years ago and have renovated the inside. Now it is time for the outside. I've attached a few photos so you can get an idea of the area. What the photos don't show is there is a high brick (15-18 feet high) retaining wall at the bottom of the garden, where the fence runs along. I would have liked to terrace the garden further than what it already is but following advice from someone who supplies gabion baskets I have decided not to go this route... could burst the retaining wall apparently!

The top section was particularly overgrown with no structure at all, so I dug it all out, wish I had photos of what it was like before I started. In this top area for this year or so I'm going to use for growing some potatoes, onions and garlic.

The lower section, I haven't got a clue what to do with it, I have removed the odd tree stump here and there are still several biggish ones left which the previous owner cut off very close to the ground. The area is around 65 feet long 10-12 feet wide, the slope from the flags to the fence drops about 3 feet, more at the far (north end).

One part of me thinks just use heaths and heathers but I have no experience of growing them.

I am very much open to ideas but really want it to be low maintenance.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg Plot.jpg

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,610
    Welcome to the forum! As you can see by my location, I have a completely different climate and also am not an experienced gardener however there are plenty of members here who are knowledgeable and will most likely jump in to give you some suggestions. :)

3. Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,225
    As a compromise, perhaps you could put in some raised beds made from railway sleepers?

And then go for the tropical look?

• Like Like x 1
    • rqy99g

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks Lori... as you say quite a different climate!

Sirius, sleepers may be a good idea as they wouldn't be to heavy and yet if put in correctly should hold back certainly a lowish retaining wall. I suppose I may have to think about drainage?

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      Welcome to GC .. You could perhaps go for woodland plants and ferns at the end shaded by the trees then move towards mores sunloving arid area plants for the area in full sun.. Just a thought there are plenty of plants to choose from.. :SUNsmile:

• rqy99g

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks for the welcome and advice, with regard to you comment above, that's what worries me: )

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      If it was me, and assuming it gets a good few hours of sunshire , then I would go for fruit.

The size of the area would stand fair sized trees or smaller cordons etc and it would also be suitable for a large range of berries, all of which are low maintenance compared to grass and flowers, but still allow you to retain an interest in the garden while enjoying a fantastic harvest.

• Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,225
      Dig in some grit and manure. That should improve the draingage.
      The slope will help with that too

• Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,225
      This is a corner of my garden

IMG_4302.JPG

• rqy99g

Ratings:
      +1
      I want to try and keep away from using trees in the area on the photos for a couple of reasons:

1) The high retaining wall and the risk of root damage. There are trees right up against the wall and behind our fence which are the neighbours behind. I need to have a conversation at some point about them as I'm sure they can't be doing the wall much good.

2) As we are so much higher than the house behind, the ground level at the back door is about the same as the highest point of the roof behind and as a result we have a great view which would be a shame to obscure.

view.jpg

I like the idea of sleepers and have used them to good affect in the past. I would use new sleepers as you have if I am to use them again.... tar when it gets hot! My worry with sleeper is that they will rot and need work doing just when I'm too old to do anything about them: ) but realistically they are probably what I'll end up using.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,552
    • kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
      Ratings:
      +4,586
      I'd go a heavy mass planting mix of winter flowering heathers (which don't require acidic soil and Helianthums (Rock Roses, which aren't actually roses).

In that way you'll have colour all throughout the year and when they've spread over the whole area, absolutely no weeding. Win! Win!

2017-03-28 19.16.27.jpg

You'll need a load of plants so you'd need to go to a nursery, not a garden centre, and buy in bulk.

• Like Like x 1
      • kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
        Ratings:
        +4,586
        Pricing. I pay €18 for a tray of 18, 9cm pots of Helianthums and €24 for a tray of 24, 9cm pots of winter flowering Heathers. I'm sure if you search around, you could beat those prices. Go for 9cm pots, plug sizes are TOO small with these plants.

Both these plants are marvellous at suppressing weeds. Heathers, Erica Carnea, etc come in shades of purple and in white. Rock Roses come in shades of red and in yellow. Plant 10" apart to gain maximum ground cover as soon as possible. Both plants will head downhill at first so bear that in mind when planting.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017