1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Three new Japanese Maples arrived yet

Discussion in 'Trees' started by WilliamItaly, Apr 25, 2020.

1. WilliamItaly

WilliamItaly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning to all!!! I just received 3 JM, beni-tsukasa, Jordan, Katsura from the site esveld, they made a trip from the Netherlands to Italy in 3 days and these are the conditions in which they arrived. One even has aphids that on the whole stem and leaves (I have already sprayed water with the addition of drops of detergent for the dishes), the other two are in bad condition, what I have to do in order to make them live at their best? I read that you should not do the repot until the winter as it could further stress the plants. Some of them have roots that come out from under the pot, what do i have to do? Do I have to lift the pot off the ground for leave some air pass through roots? I am seriously worried and I really hope to be able to recover the vitality of these plants, what is your advice? please help me

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    I'm sure it would have been better if they were shipped earlier before they leafed up, the new leaves are very tender and get damaged just by touching them.

I see no reason why you cant pot them on into slightly bigger pots if you want to, or plant them out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,270
      As Pete said repot into slightly bigger pots. Then stand some where sheltered, out of the sun, water and feed over the summer and move to final position when the leaves drop off in the autumn.
      The aphids were unfortunate, keep an eye on them and retreat as necessary. They don't actually look too bad. one has obviously been cut back for packaging purposes, but they should recover well.

• Like Like x 3
      • WilliamItaly

WilliamItaly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        many told me that to avoid further stressing the plants, already stressing from the trip and the fact that they are in full vegetative house, to wait for the fall of the leaves before repotting them...