Thunbergia Obelisk, How many ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Smiffy, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [​IMG]

Hello............
    I am planning to plant an 18" container fitted with a bamboo obelisk , with Thunbergia - black eyed susans. As I have no idea how these grow can anyone advise me how many plants would I need to fill the container similar to the photo above, and any other care points for this plant would be great....
    TIA
    Smiffy008

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,909
    Hello Smiffy008 and welcome to GC.

I have both the orange and yellow Thunbergia alata(Black Eyed Susans), as well as the lesser known/grown Thunbergia laurifolia (Blue Trumpet Vine).

I grow mine three to a pot in a tripod fashion and it gives a nice, full display. As I am in a completely different climate, mine have to be sheltered from afternoon sun but I wouldn't think there would be such a problem in your location. [​IMG] However, they do need full sun to bloom continuously. Mine are also in their third year ... I cut them back to ground level and being mild they reshoot.

The one thing I note is they are very thirsty plants and wither quickly if neglected.

Perhaps someone from the UK will come along and advise you on care there but, in the meantime, I hope you enjoy the forum.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,377
    I would add smiffy that they like a warm spot.
    Dont be in a hurry to plant out, I would think June outside in your area, and the plants need to be well hardened off.
    Put some of that slow release fetilizer in with the compost (I use osmocote), it saves on a lot of feeding through the summer.
    I think I would plant about six to eight plants in the pot you describe.
    Interestingly some plants lack the black spot, but most should have it. [​IMG]

4. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Lady of Leisure and Pete
    thank you for the advice on the Thunbergia , I will make sure I don't plant them out to soon and keep them in a sunny spot and well fed . Lady of Leisure - it must be a nice problem ,to have " to much sun"! :cool:
    I really enjoyed my holiday in Portugal during my golfing days.Must get back there with Mrs Smiffy soon...

thanks again for your tips

cheers
    Smiffy008

5. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    I so love these plants but never been lucky enough to have them myself so eye catching in every way.

[ 06. April 2008, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: Scotkat ]

6. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Scotkat
    I'll post a pic of them in July/August - don't know if they will look like the other photo though !
    I am growing mine from seed , Thompson and Morgan 30 seeds in Yellow vanilla and white �£2.89 . They are ready for pricking out next week and I got 90% germination. So hope they will grow on my obelisk !

7. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Looking forward ,what size is your obelisk.

8. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The obelisk is a bamboo one , wigwam shaped ( or teepeee shaped to be precise !)and is about 1m tall in a 600mm planter. I grew sweetpeas in it last year , but I planted to many - hence this thread. It became top heavy and suffered if we had any wind. I am hoping to get the plant and quantitiy correct this year.