1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tide Warning

Discussion in 'Hook, Line and Sinker' started by Phil A, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Missed this one, just saw it when checking the tide times.

BBC News - Warning as tide traps 93 people in north-west England

Thought it a relevant warning now the summer holidays are here.

My fishing buddy & I helped in the rescue of 2 teenagers cut off by the tide in North Devon.

We'd seen the boys go out but as we were moving back up the beach we realised we'd not seen them come back.

We noticed them right at the end of the rocks, oblivious to the fact the way they had gone out was now underwater.

We' tried signalling with shiney lures to flash the sun at them, waving & shouting but they just didn't respond so I dialled 999 & asked for the Coastguard.

They eventually realised they were cut off & started to climb back on the near vertical cliff.

We climbed up to help them back & got them both back safely.

The Coastguard 4x4 turned up driven by a Silver haired surfin dude & was amazed that I was called Ziggy:D

He thanked us for calling them as they would rather deal with something like this now than get a missing persons report in the middle of the night.

He then turned round and had a right go at the poor kids:(

• Like Like x 1
    • Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
      Ratings:
      +502
      Good thread.

In this region we get similar stories, some of the locals are very unsympathetic, towards the holidaymakers, as mudflats are not sensible ways to get out to the sea - the Coastguards are forever hauling people out and back to safety :mute:

• Like Like x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        My little girl got stuck in the mud at Blue Anchor & I saw a man being rescued from it at Minehead.

I think the Bristol Channel should have a health warning on it. With a 15 metre tide range there must be people who get stuck and are never seen again:OUCH:

Although the Dorset/Devon coast is not so bad mud wise, we have a related problem with the blue lias cliffs. They contain pockets of quicksand, there was a boy that had to be rescued at Charmouth a month or two ago.

And about 20 years ago, a muddy dog returned home alone, no one has seen his owner since.:(

• Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,686
      • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        Woa Zig, the tide is such a powerful instrument of nature I think.. As kids we were taught about the tides & respected the fact that you can get cut off in seconds, but have seen some rescues from the Bristol channel area because of its mud these last years that you do wonder where the common sense has gone..??
        I taught my daughters & since, my grandkids all about the tides.. As a kid on holiday I used to love going & finding out about the tide times locally & organising where we were going & when.. We always went to the early morning fish market when we were staying in Brixham... Ah those were idyllic days.....! :yess: