Time limited deal wtih Virgin Mobile - 17th July

Discussion in 'Freebies, Offers & Bargains' started by clanless, Jul 8, 2018.

1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,618
    For the last couple of years I've been using mobile 'phone and broadband - don't have to pay for a landline; does what we want it to do and in any case we need to be careful with the pennies now that I've packed in work.

Currently with EE - £11 per month - unlimited calls, unlimited texts and 4gb of data - constantly paying for more data - so the costs are normally £24 per month.

We're moving over to Virgin Mobile next month - 2500 mins calls, unlimited texts and 24gb of data - yes, 24 gb for £15 per month :thud:.

On top of this Virgin use the EE network - so same good coverage, tethering is allowed and uses 4G :spinning:. I'd be bonkers not to change.

Not long before this offer expires - so if you're looking to change mobile provider - this might be the one for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,123
      We changed to virgin for a short while but it was the worst phone service and reception we have ever had.. I couldn't use my phone in the house or garden I had to walk up the lane to get a signal..!! When I eventually got through to a person they said it was a transmitter was down and they were not repairing it for 6 months!!!!!! I went straight back to vodaphone and there I stay with their deals and I can get signal on my phone wherever I am it seems with vodaphone..

I wish you luck with it @clanless but my experience with virgin mobile was the worst on earth and their help and support was awful.... Nearly impossible to talk to anyone at virgin too..! :mad:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        I had the opposite service problems to Marley . Mrs H was on Vodaphone and had patchy reception problems . She transferred to Virgin Mobile that I was also using and has no problem now. As Clanless said, Virgin use the EE network , I do find the 4G reception a bit patchy.
        At the caravan park we get no reception at all due to being behind a fell. Using the Wifi and Whatsapp Voice call app is excellent .

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
          Ratings:
          +7,618
          As we are currently with EE and EE provide the Virgin infrastructure - then I'm hoping we still receive the same strong signal :spinning:.

In terms of customer services, I 'phoned EE to let them know that our contract would naturally expire, and that I was not intending to renew. Wasted 20 mins in a 'phone queue, before deciding that it would be easier to write a letter.

I used to be the sort of person who stayed with the same telecomms provider - but it looks like we'll have to regularly switch to make sure that we are getting the best deal.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +84,330
            I've been with Vodafone for years, not sure why, the service is rubbish, cant use my phone at work or home.
            But cant be bothered to go through the process of changing.

When the phone gives up the ghost I'll be looking.
            I only pay £11 a month, but that is pretty extortionate bearing in mind how often it actually works/ I use it.

• Funny Funny x 1
            • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
              Ratings:
              +6,097
              I'm with Virgin. I started off, must be over twenty years ago with a distant predecessor company, Cable & Wireless etc. I automatically went along with the various company name changes. At first with Virgin, I was on dial-up for the internet, so I had a second wall socket fitted, meaning I now had two landlines. Soon Virgin introduced cable services to my area, so line two was done away with.

As I watch very little TV and don't play computer or internet games My package is simply. Land-lone phone and broadband internet. I seldom make outgoing calls, the calls are free at all times upto one minute duration. I had a moan along with the usual threats to change ISP as my bill increased. So Virgin reduced my monthly bill but also halved my internet speed down to 50. True. Virgin don't charge for call outs etc, basically I am content with what I have but. It really gets to me when adverts offer say an 18 month contract for all that Virgin can provide including loads of films and sports etc for around £20 a month. Muggings here is still forking out over £50 a month. Perhaps it's time the powers to be caused them to give existing long term custommers a bite at the cake......Modern technology Bah humbug. Anyone seen my slate and chalk??????

• Like Like x 3
              • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,184
                @clanless - am also with VM but interested the know what typical download speeds you get with tethering, had thought about that but opted for the cabled broadband.

@Mike Allen - all you need to do is wait until your current contract has expired then ring the UK retention dept, also known as the Thinking about leaving dept.
                Then say to them the package is too dear and they often come back with an offer, say you will think about it, even if it sounds good, then call back a few days later and see if they can improve things, it saved me £9 a month on my basic package.

They offer me a customer loyalty price for the 18months even though the new contact is 12months.

Same with other insurances, always first check what the same company and others are offering online via the comparison sites which are nearly always less than your renewal letter price, then phone and ask them to at least match it, if not go elsewhere.

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                Ratings:
                +7,618
                Assuming Virgin and EE are equal - at the moment I can easily browse the web, watch you tube, email etc - and this is all tethered to a cheap 3g phone.

I do have a t-link mobile hot spot - it is specifically designed to provide a tether signal. I've run it on 4gEE and it went like a rocket - about 150mb if memory serves - but then I never need this level of speed.

I used the t-link to connect remotely to the network at work - it was up to the job quite nicely - never lagged and quick response.

IMHO if you want to watch netflix and all them lot - then you need hardwired broadband - for anything else then you can't really go wrong with mobile.

I've previously used a 20gb per month data sim - and never used up all the data allowance - so there's plenty of room with a 24gb sim.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
                • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                  Ratings:
                  +7,618
                  Cranked up the Virgin sim card yesterday - same service as EE - nothings changed :thumbsup:

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                  Ratings:
                  +7,618
                  They are now offering 45gb for £18 a month - 5000 mins phone and unlimited texts - offer closes end of this month.

If you were wondering whether to go fully mobile - now is the time to take a leap of faith.