1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Timed water service

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Royboy, May 8, 2020.

1. Royboy

Royboy Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I decided after a few attempts to retry to install a watering system in the greenhouse which would be successful I wanted it (as I have no electrical power laid on) to use an electrical power so I searched the web and found a 12 volt pump and timer also 12V which I could run on a 12v car battery so I Purchased them and went as follows from a water butt tap situated as normal from near the base I piped a silicon tube from the tap of the butt to the pump inside the greenhouse at ground level then joined up with plastic and metal pipes and ran them on the two sides and end and from those pipes I drilled and threaded 6mm holes to accommodate for 6 10" plant pots each side and 2 pots at the end Then I tested to find out how many minutes would I need either once or twice a day to feed the tomatoes planted in pots with saucers beneath the pots and it worked beautifully, I know I did not need to give you all this info to ask what the problem is that I have but I thought it may help. My first test was successful but when the pump had finished the timed watering although the pump had switched off the water carried on through the pressure from the butt. So i thought I would do away with the tap supply and raise the pump inside the greenhouse on a shelf above the level of the top of the butt and feed the pump from dropping the tube from above inside the butt this I thought would solve the problem> But no as soon as the pump had timed out a siphon then carried on so it carried on watering and filling the saucers. I thought the pump which is a submersible ( but I did not want to run it this way) would stop the siphoning but apparently does not . has anybody any suggestions how I can stop the supply of water from the butt until the next operation of the timer.

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Hi,

Think I get the drift of your problem, but have to first ask why you did not buy one of the standard watering timers that run off a little 9v battery, lots of different ones and many doing periods down to one minute, but check how many times a day they can operate.
      Assumes you have a mains water supply in the greenhouse ?

They might work on your water butt as they have some type of water control, the ones I have seen inside use a little electric motor to operate a minature tap ! that saves power over a solenoid.

If you have to use your pump and water butt then think using a little 12v DC water solenoid switched on at the same time as your pump should stop the siphoning.
      The only problem with them is connecting your pipes to the threads on them, you might have to buy some adapters like washing machine hoses ones or RO tubing, could be as expensive as a proper timer if you have to mail order them.

hth

000222.jpg

000223.jpg

000221.jpg

• CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,611
      • Informative Informative x 1
        Last edited: May 8, 2020
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        • Like Like x 1
        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          Val & I used to go to the New Forest in the caravan sometimes for three months at atime. I rigged up a system.

It couldn't have been simpler. I have a cedarwood GH so fixing this and that is so much simpler. I had already run a water supply to the GH, with twin outlet taps. Then a cheap poll of i/2 inch plastic hose from Lidle. Fixing plastic pipe clips to the roof bars. I ran a supply from the GH tap, along the underside of the GH roof , crossed over at the end and returned to the door. A simple bend in the pipe secured by a jubilee clip and bobs your uncle. Now two packs of plastic jests/valve by hozelock just a few pence. Using a pair of pliers and a 1'' nails I pierced th pipe and screwed the vanlves in. Inserted the AAA batteries set the timer and turned on. As always when going away. That flipping car. Neverthe less the system worked. Back home and enter the GH. Ah! Dr Livingstone I presume. The GH had now beome a tropical rain forest. Outside. I rang my friend, who I had paid to check on watering the garden including the hanging baskets.

Hi Rob. It's Mike. We are home. Say old mate. What happened bout watering my hanging baskest. Well Mick it rained most of the time you were away, so I stayed home.. ROB. the hanging baskets neede watering. OOOOOOOooops!

• Royboy

Royboy Gardener

Ratings:
          +3
          Thank you for your message interesting reading.

• CanadianLori

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,611
          I think we kinda got off the topic. He just wanted to know how to stop it from siphoning the barrel after it pumps for the right amount of time.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Royboy

Royboy Gardener

Ratings:
            +3
            I will try this

Or you can make your own with a screw. Make a leaky spot near the pump on output hose. You could stick a screw in far enough to make a hole but not puncture the other side, and then back it off enough to lose the tight fit and allow air in when the pumping is done.[/QUOTE]
            I solved the problem with your idea as seen in the photo and thanks for the idea I drilled an hole in the elbow and inserted a little vent. works well.Royboy

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
            • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,611
              Glad to hear it @Royboy :) I've had a lifetime of not being able to afford repairmen for lots of things. I used to repair my own clothes washer and dryer and although I don't think I'd do that now, what with being a bit older, I did fix the water pump in my dishwasher a couple of weeks ago and not too long ago, the ice maker in my fridge.

There's lots of ways to be thrifty when needs be :)

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Like Like x 1