1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tinsley Towers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Hec, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The cooling towers next to the M1 in Rotherham (just the otherside of the motorway to Meadowhell) are coming down tonight.

They are closing the motorway over night and the towers are being demolished at 3 am. Much as I would love to see it happen 3am is not a good time - though I undersatnd why.

Unfortunately it's my daughter's 30th birthday next week, she is in Portugal with some mates for her birthday so we are going out this weekend to celebrate AND she wants to see the demolition as coming north the next junction was ours so these towers were always known by the kids as 'The Nearly Home Towers'. - so we are now going.

They are closing all the local roads about midnight and not reopening them til 4 am eeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkk! We have decided to go for a meal at Meadowhell first so that is booked for 10pm (latest possible). Any ideas how we can pass the rest of the time?

They are expecting 1000's of people so there will probably be quite a party atmosphere and they are keeping the toilets open so that's one issue out the way. I think I'll be glad I did it and the actual moment will be quite historic but the thought of staying up all night for this just seems stoooopid! Ah well, it's a one off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7561179.stm

http://info.itvlocal.com/tinsleytow...emolition&ps&gclid=COTTsKPGo5UCFRKS1QodPzMFkg

2. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I heard about that on the radio - it will be wonderful to watch but 3am is a strange time.

Enjoy it. I'm sure that I will be able to see a re-run on the TV:)

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Enjoy it. I'm sure that I will be able to see a re-run on the TV
    robert

4. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

Yep! That's the disadvantage of being there - we'll only see it once, only see it from one angle and only in real-time speed. I'm sure the spectacle will be much more dramatic in the many reruns.

Still It'll be one to remember I'm sure

5. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It was good, there was a great view from the whole of the Meadowhell Car Park, so though there were a lot of people everyone could see well.

It was all over in about 5 seconds flat though - We ate at 10 and were then sat waiting in the car from 11.30 to 3am, 5 seconds to watch and then another 30 mins before they let us leave the carpark.

Been shattered all day today - Only had my phone for pics so only got one of the actual drop.

before [​IMG]

the drop[​IMG]

just after [​IMG]