1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

To prune or not to prune Exochorda x Macrantha and spacing.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by hailbopp, May 31, 2021.

1. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +711
    I am fortunate that I have the “ luxury” of buying certain plants wholesale. Having a large garden I tend to buy plants in threes. I bought 3 Exchorda x Macrantha recently, a shrub I have never grown before. The plants are not substantial, a bit more than a rooted cutting but not exactly filing their 3 ltr pots. I intend to plant them shortly and not sure whether to prune back the stems that have flowered to encouraging bushing or not as the plants are still small.Also how wide apart would you recommend to plant them? My aim to to have a decent looking size within 5 years, ie I am far too old to wait 10 years for them to join up! Thanks in advance.