To prune or not to prune - that is the question

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Finston Pickle, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Finston Pickle

Finston Pickle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    We have an old, deep red climbing rose, about 15 years old, which has been trained horizontally to the dwarf wall of our west facing patio. Each year it has given an all summer display on the vertical new growth.

However it is old and the main root looked fungus like, so concern grew on its health (so far looking good this year). Time for propagation, as we don’t know its name. I know it is probably grafted, but there is no sign of a graft and it is wonderfully black spot free and very healthy. In January this year I thought that I would take some slips to maintain the “bloodline”

Success! On our sunny patio, I now have five, well rooted slips safely transferred to Fryer’s roses type, deep rose containers to grow on in a light, well drained, soil /peat compost mix, fortified with Richard Jackson’s “Root Booster”. Also two growing in our garden soil in a sunny location with plenty of space to thrive.

Now comes the question - unanswered anywhere on the Internet - as far as I can see. When/How should I prune these slips so as to achieve four of five good, strong leaders by the end of next year’s growing season - ready for moving to their permanent quarters?

• Like Like x 1
    • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,371
      I'd say prune hard to the lowest buds late winter.

Maybe @wiseowl can help you out , he likes his roses

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Finston Pickle

Ratings:
        +17
        Yes, thanks for the reply - I wonder if @wiseowl can comment.

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,284
        "Slip" is an old-fashioned term for a softwood cutting,:old:

Good afternoon @Finston Pickle my friend as I come from the old Rose school I was trained not to prune a climbing rose slip/cutting for the first three years; only remove dead, damaged or diseased wood. After three years, cut back laterals in the early spring to two or three buds or about six inches, but so many Rose practices have changed over the years so many younger Rosarians may disagree with me but I would still be patient and wait the allotted time that I was taught:smile::old:

• Like Like x 1
        • Finston Pickle

Ratings:
          +17
          Thank you @wiseowl - I had detected your school of thought on the Internet and was certainly thinking of leaving the young roses, which have the start of a good lateral shape, to their own devices next year, perhaps for two. When should I move these from their pots to to their final destination, I wonder?

One or two of the young roses have sprouted rather weak growth from below the soil level. I was thinking of leaving them to see if they had reverted to a non climbing form as some people say can happen.

As I will only be able to use one, perhaps two, of the roses for myself, I may be more adventurous on the other roses and see if second year hard pruning gives a better prognosis.

Thanks for all inputs - gladly received!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +89,284
            Good afternoon @Finston Pickle please keep us updated with your observations and findings my friend It would be really appreciated,thank you :smile: