1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

To prune or not to prune

Discussion in 'Roses' started by DevonPhil, Jun 17, 2021.

1. DevonPhil

DevonPhil Gardener

Artist
    Ratings:
    +154
    Our Rambling Rector looks to be flowering beautifully along the pergola now the Wisteria has finished. However, there are a number of new stems growing vertically from the large canes I tied and pruned back in February. My instincts are telling me to cut these back - especially as they look as if they won't flower.

Before I commence surgery, is this wise or a bad idea?

Thanks

rambler-rector.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,847
      Good afternoon @DevonPhil its a lovely Rose with a lovely shape:smile: my friend I think your instincts are correct I would also take out branches that are outgrowing their allotted space or ruining the shape of the plant.Hope this helps:smile:

White, near white or white blend Hybrid Multiflora.
      Registration name: Rambling Rector
      Exhibition name: Rambling Rector
      Discovered (circa 1900).
      Introduced in United Kingdom by Daisy Hill Nursery in 1901 as 'Rambling Rector'.
      Climber, Polyantha, Cl., Rambler.
      White, yellow stamens. Strong fragrance. up to 20 petals. Average diameter 1.5". Small, semi-double to double, in large clusters, flat bloom form. Once-blooming spring or summer.
      Climbing. Matte, light green foliage.
      Height of up to 20' (up to 610 cm). Width of 15' to 20' (455 to 610 cm). Very vigorous. prefers full sun. Disease susceptibility: very disease resistant.
      Rosa multiflora Thunb. Ă— Rosa moschata Herrm.

• Like Like x 2
      • DevonPhil

DevonPhil Gardener

Artist
        Ratings:
        +154
        Thanks @wiseowl :blue thumb:

This is my first year dealing with a large rose plant. I thought I was ruthless with the winter prune, but clearly not enough. Over the next few days, I'll remove the offending top growth and have a general tidy.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,847
          Good afternoon @DevonPhil no worries if you need anymore advice my friend at any time just ask,enjoy the rest of your day:smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1