1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

To pull or not to pull

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by greencuisinequeen, Apr 15, 2011.

1. greencuisinequeen

greencuisinequeen Gardener

Ratings:
    +42
    This is my predicament :what:
    I have a load of green stuff in my garden, have no idea of what it is weed or plant and not sure whether to just pull it up and discard or sift through and see what to keep :scratch:
    Have only just started to do something in the back garden lets not mention the front as haven't really got a clue bout either:dunno:
    Please advise

Baffled in Bucks
    Happy weekend
    GCQ
    :thumbsup:

2. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    Can you up load a few photos ? Mybe we can see what's what.
    Dave

3. greencuisinequeen

Ratings:
    +42
    :help:Having a bit of a nightmare uploading pics although have gone by Daisees thread in How To so this is 2nd go at it, don't know how to make pics bigger either.

Attached Files:

4. jovi

jovi Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The broad leaved plant in the first pic looks like sage, the plant in the second looks like ground elder which needs getting rid of. Not sure on the last pic, but reminds me of a little shoot that pops up now and again in my garden and I usually dig it up.

BTW the pics are a good size when clicked on, so no problem.

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,459
    The middle picture doesn't look like ground elder to me. It looks like elderberry. Similar names similar appearance. Wait for a few more members to comment.

If it is elderberry then dig it out - can be fairly deep rooted but easy to get rid of with a bit of effort.

Third picture - I'd get rid of the dandelions in the background :heehee:

6. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,594
    Not sure about the first pic. Second one I think is ground elder and the third looks like a beech sapling to me, possibly self seeded. :)

7. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Middle picture is an elderberry tree, it will grow rapidly if left alone..

Not sure about the third picture??; a self seeded 'pussy' willow perhaps; it looks similar to ones that keep popping up in my garden..if so, again it will grow quite rapidly..

8. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    The first pic I too think is sage, and possible curly parsley (unless my eyesight is letting me down, which it sometimes does these days), the second pic contains an Elderberry tree. It doesn't look like a youngster, it looks like one that has been there a while but been regularly chopped to ground level. Probably has well established roots, in which case Round Up might be the way to go if you want rid. The second pic also contains a weed whose name I don't know, but I recognise it well.

I can't be 100%, because although I know the plants I mentioned, I usually identify herbs more by smell and feel than appearance, because there are lots of things that (to me at least) look very similar.

9. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,459
    Now that I've had a bit more time to look I feel quite certain that I am right about elderberry in the middle picture. Try digging it out first. If you can't dig it out then use Roundup on it as clueless says. The mass of little plants with tiny white flowers looks like one of the many versions of shepherds purse (a weed in a garden but a wild herb of medicinal use in the wild - ziggy is probably the best person to tell you whether I'm right or not but I'm not sure about the shape of the leaves).

First picture also looks like sage to me. Not sure with the curly leaves - possible herb so pick and crush a leave and give it a sniff. Long thin leaves could be a number of flowering plants - even English bluebells (but, if so, they should be producing their flower heads now) - don't dig up. Just by the toe of your right foot is a dandelion - dig out.

Third picture - the shrub/tree could be a number of things, from a tree to a nice flowering shrub, but I wouldn't dig it out yet. Has it got any flower buds on it? If so, wait until they flower and show us again. As I mentioned before, the dandelions need coming out and pretty sharpish before the seeds form - which will happen in the next day or so.

10. greencuisinequeen

Ratings:
    +42
    Hi and thanks all of you for replying with help and advice. My other half has dug up one in 3rd pic but has put in a pot, no flowers on it yet though. I have a few of the 1st pic dotted around garden and 2nd pic yes will dig up as it being close to fense not sure if it is coming through from neighbours garden but will try round up if root is not possible to get out.

Shiney - Thanks so much for your help especially with the dandelion I wondered why I kept wetting the bed when I placed a vase of those lovely yellow flowers in my room :scratch:
    Have lots of bluebells in front and back garden they are so lovely too; after flowering when can I dig them up and is it possible to replant as don't really want to completely get rid of them?

Happy Days
    GCQ

11. greencuisinequeen

Ratings:
    +42
    Am a bit unsure if this is really Sage as it seems so big so have taken other pics. Was going to taste it then thought better of it just in case :rolleyespink: Can anyone clarify?

Also salvaged this wee tree like one and put in a pot with it's little pink flowers making an appearance (am really pleased as it spoke to me to save it)
    :heehee:

Attached Files:

12. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,459
    Now we can see it better :dbgrtmb: it's not sage - it's digitalis, so keep it :yahoo:

13. greencuisinequeen

Ratings:
    +42
    Shiney that's bang on lovi and thanks, just googled it and saw some pics now recognise it as the lovely foxglove.

Anyone Identify the pic with the pink flowers at all?

Happy Easter Days to all
    GCQ

14. Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
    Ratings:
    +3,269
    Shrub with pink buds looks like a Rhododendron.
    On of the dwarf Azalea sort.
    When the flowers open you will be able to tell.

15. greencuisinequeen

Ratings:
    +42
    Thanks SS certainly looks that way from the google search now

Happy Days
    GCQ