Tobacco a natural pesticide

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by madhousebill, Jan 27, 2013.

1. madhousebill

madhousebill Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +16
    Tobacco as we know is a natural pesticide it works very well or extremely well against aphids,slugs,snails,caterpillars and many types of worms, placing half a cup of tobacco leaf in a 2pints of hot water and add a little bio-degradable dish soap allowing it to turn into a dark tea for about 2 hours then making it up to a gallon will deter most pests, Tobacco tea as a natural pesticide, Note: it is not good for any member of the nightshade family, eg peppers,tomatoes, eggplants, potatoes or tobacco its self, i am not really sure why it is not compatible with its own family but i have noticed that if a tobacco leaf gets damaged and the sap drops on a leaf below it will dissolve the leaf, but i have used it with great success on other plants in fact my fruit trees have been pest free the last 3 years.

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967
    Nicotine which is the chemical involved here is extremely poisonous to all forms of life and as a pesticide it kills ALL insects including Bees.
    Do not use this method of pest control.

3. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,318
    probably bee free as well , not the best thing to use on fruit trees if you need to please wait to apply after they have finished flowering.

Spruce

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,594
    Just in case the EU bureaucrats are reading, I should point out that any endorsement of non-approved pesticides are the personal opinion of the poster, and should not be seen as an endorsement from Gardeners Corner, its staff, or the collective membership:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • madhousebill

madhousebill Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +16
      hi folks and thank you for your comments i have only ever used this home made tea in the evenings and when there are no flowers on the plants i was unaware that it was harmful to bees in such a way and was of the opinion that using natural would be better but after reading up on the subject bow:love30: to your understanding of this subject and will not be using it again.

• Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,967
      Pure Nicotine is so deadly that one drop on the skin of your hand will kill you. Good one for the murderous types as it is generally untraceable in post mortem. See Agatha Christie novels. Not that I am advocating murder or even trying to distil the stuff.
      I am sure we had a big discussion about the use of cigarette ends to make insecticide a long time ago, either on here or on the old BBC site.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,996
      There's also the risk of spreading Tobacco mosaic virus. Some growers don't let smokers near their plants unless they're wearing gloves.

• Like Like x 1
      • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
        Ratings:
        +3,035
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,834
        It is an interesting subject and I cover the use of natural pesticides in my Thread "From the Old Book". Our predecessors were masters at the dark art of using poisons of all kinds to kill pests and diseases. One thing though, we have to be cautious on GC in advocating the use of such methods as the EU rules and regulations quite strict and comprehensive.:dunno: :snork: