1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler Greenhouse

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Lor, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Lor

Lor Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new to this. All I've done in the past is grown some tomatoes and planted flowers in flower beds. This is largely because I have always worked full time, however I am now a housewife with a baby. My mother is a keen gardener in growing produce and flowers. One of my nephews had a toddler greenhouse when he was younger and I am desperately trying to find one for my daughter so that my mother and I can encourage her to grow plants too. Does anybody know where I can get such a thing? I'm sorry if this isn't strictly about gardening but who knows, in 15 years my daughter might have much to share on this forum!

2. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lor
    I think that`s a great idea!

You`ve solved my dilemma of what to do with my test greenhouse frame (6ft dia x 3.5ft high) which is a small scale version of a much larger one.

I did consider covering it in mesh and using it as a trendy run for the rabbit.

Now i think i`ll add a 24" high kneewall and let the kids loose in it [​IMG]

I couldn`t find any greenhouses specifically for toddlers on the net, perhaps one of those compact ones from B&Q etc would fit the bill?

The other alternative is to build a scaled down version from free plans available on the net.

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    If you get a small greenhouse, you could put staging at toddler height on one side, and adult at the other. I'm sure you'll make good use of it and encourage your toddler at the same time! [​IMG]

4. Lor

Lor Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Liz & Hex, thanks for your ideas. Hex, can I ask where you got your test greenhouse frame from?

5. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lor,
    The old 14ft dia frame was a "hub and strut" geodesic dome which i built from timber (165 struts!).
    The new 6ft dia test frame is also timber, but is a "panel" design which gives a more open structure, although it is harder to build due to more complex compound angle cuts.
    A hub/strut design of any size is relatively easy to build yourself with a few basic tools.