Tomato feeding Q

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by daisybelle, Jul 29, 2015.

1. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    I only recently got a greenhouse and bought a few tomato plants from the car boot just to play :)
    I've got them in big pots and when I feed them, it all just runs out of the bottom, seems such a waste :( I keep them as consistently moist as I can, would they be better dryer before feeding?
    I use liquid food you dilute and apply with a watering can with the rose off, cos it says not to get it on the leaves. I put a bit on each pot and then go around again so I'm not flooding them all at once.
    Is this a problem, will they get enough food? All tips gratefully received, thanks :)

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    Letting the compost dry out between waterings can aggravate water/feeds running straight through it, cause blossom end rot & split fruits, and can even change the shape of the leaves, making them thinner and less healthy. Keep with moist.

It could be the compost you're using, there's a lot of rubbish around, what is it?

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,364
      I'd suggest a saucer under the pots and leave any run off for at least an hour before emptying.
      Dont let them sit in water for long periods though.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Craig1987

Craig1987 Gardener

Payroll Administrator
        Ratings:
        +292
        If you can, dig up the inside of your greenhouse. This way, the plants can be planted straight into the ground. The ground can hold a lot more moisture than a plastic plant pot. If your plants go dry, they can get unhealthy like Scrungee says. It's also a lot cheaper in the long run. You'll save on having to buy fresh compost each year. A bag of manure scattered inside is a lot cheaper and in my opinion better.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +45,636
          The problem with using border soil in the greenhouse is it needs changing every season to prevent build up of soil borne bugs, unless you go for grafted tomatoes with disease resistant rootstock.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Craig1987

Craig1987 Gardener

Payroll Administrator
            Ratings:
            +292
            I do agree JWK, however, i don't have a greenhouse filled with just tomatoes. I have peppers, toms, melons, chillies and lettuce soon

I can rotate their planting positions for 3 years.

My plot neighbour has just removed his soil and put it in a raised bed. He's now growing carrots in this. He's chucked in a load of homemade compost and manure in its place

• Like Like x 1