1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomato greenback problem

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Garden Apprentice, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Garden Apprentice

Garden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My tomatoes have cropped really well this year and have generaly ripened nicely but have suffered a bit from greenback, which has also affected the flesh inside the fruits. This has resulted in areas of green rather inedible bits around the stalk area, which have to be cut out before eating.

I am wondering what might have caused this, what I can do in future to avoid it?

Thanks

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Your GH was almost certainly too hot. Another possibility is too little potash though if you've been feeding with tomato fertiliser this is less likely.
    Next year try improving ventilation and reduce sunlight with a mesh screen or glass paint.

3. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with DW but this some times occur at the end of crop cycle