1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomato Help please.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Veg-and-flower-man, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Veg-and-flower-man

Veg-and-flower-man Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My tomatoes have now grown past the size of the greenhouse and are being pushed against the slanting glass that forms the roof. I have positioned some canes that follow the roof at an angle so i can train the tomatoes up it. However, i am having second thoughts about this idea because the stems are prety solid and not flexible. How do i control growth height but still get lots of tomatoes???

thanks

2. hammer

hammer Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    just nip the growing tip off the tom plants when they hit the roof.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    In a commercial greenhouse they take off the lower leaves, and "lower" the plant, arranging the stem along the row, and then up at the next suitable position, a bit like you do with sweet peas when they get tot he top of their cane.

I have arranged my tomato canes at about 45 degrees, along-the-row, so that they have longer to grow before they hit the roof. I got about 8 trusses on them before I stopped them.

I don't know whether you can encourage a side shoot from the bottom and thus make a double cordon?