1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomato leaf curl - curling both up and down!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by jamei, May 25, 2011.

1. jamei

jamei Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've looked around at descriptions of various tomato leaf curling misfortunes but haven't found mine anywhere. The edges of the leafs are curling under at the top of the plant, but the lower leaves are curling up. The leaves and stems at the top have generally had a sort of claw like appearance since the beginning but I assume this is normal. The curling at the very edge of the leaves has only been apparent since yesterday - a day I happened to have watered and fertilsied with Tomorite. I have done this before though with no ill effects.

So might it be a disease, or some reaction to the environment?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    It normal, usually as a result of feeding I believe.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: Well a healthy looking plant Jamei, leaf curl can be caused sometimes by the roots being cool & wet for long periods of time.. I was told that to prevent leaf roll, you need to keep tomato plants well-drained, in well-aerated soil/compost, and don't leave them stood in water for long periods..
    It is a very healthy looking plant. What sort is it, is it a cherry tom.? as I see you are not pinching out side shoots.. :sunny:

4. jamei

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reassurance. It must have just been the feeding that did it. It's in quite well drained soil so should be fine I guess.

It is my first time growing tomatoes and have no idea what variety it is as a friend gave it to me as a seedling, so it will be an interesting surprise. I wasn't sure whether to pinch out side shoots, but I noticed that the first side shoot which has now grown quite long has some flowers on it, so I think it's best to leave alone for now in case I end up taking the wrong bits off?

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Depends on the variety, but it looks like it is an Indeterminate type (rather than Determinate/Bush) and if so would be best grown as a single cordon - removing all side shoots

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,280
    Make sure you are not mistaking a side shoot for a truss. The side shoot comes from the join of the main stem and the leaf stem. A truss comes just from the main stem.

It is normal to remove the side shoots but not the truss which bears the flowers and fruit. Sometimes if you have let the side shoot grow too big it will also start to flower and fruit.

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I don't remove side shoots until I can see a truss clearly defined higher up the plant - that stops me breaking off the wrong thing INCLUDING the leader :OUCH:

8. jamei

Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I had at the plant with my thumb and forefinger, most side shoots now gone except for ones with flowers on.