1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomato plants wilted overnight

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Joelsim, May 25, 2010.

1. Joelsim

Joelsim Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have about 20 tomato plants in various areas, including inside a coservatory, on my kitchen windowsill, in 2 growhouses and then some in growbags outside. All were doing great until 3 wilted suddently at some point in the last 24 hours. They were fine yesterday morning, not so this morning. It has affected 3 plants growing next to each other on my kitchen windowsill - one Alicante and two black cherry varieties. It's not underwatering I'm pretty sure of that.

For your info I'm in London and we are having a bit of a heatwave at the moment, yesterday was 26C and very sunny. I've checked all my other plants and they are fine, both inside and outside.

Can anyone help please?

2. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    From your description and where they are placed it does sound like heat coming through the window directly on to them. You dont state the size but Im imagining fairly small if they still fit on a windowsill. You could try really drenching them with water to see if they revive ?

3. Joelsim

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your reply. I'll give the leaves a good drench this evening, I watered them heavily this morning so I guess we'll see when I get home.

However, those outside in the sun, which actually had much more time in the sun due to the way the sun shines into the garden, are going great guns (famous last words...)

They are about 40cm tall.

4. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    You can but try ! :)

I think the heat coming through a pane of glass could have a maginifying effect ? At least you have your others doing ok so that's good :thumb:

5. Joelsim

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got rid of them, just dead in less than 24 hours. Must have caught something. Better safe than sorry, hopefully it won't spread.

6. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thats strange isnt it? Any sprays or fly killers in your kitchen at all ?

7. Joelsim

Ratings:
    +0
    Not that I'm aware of. Mind you the cleaner came on Monday so I wonder whether she did something to them.

8. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    Hmmm, it does sound like somthing was accidentaly sprayed on them perhaps, that and maybe combined with the heat from being in the window...........good luck.

9. AirAssisted

AirAssisted Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday one of my plants started curling, both leaves and stems, tonight, it looks like it has had it all together :(

Two others are starting to show leaf curl, hopefully it will stop before I lose them all :(

They are all in my green house

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,653
    Curled leaves are not always a problem when grown in a greenhouse.

11. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,347
    Not quite sure how to comment on this without any photos. :scratch:

12. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    its just too hot.

I dont think they can take up enough water to compensate for the loss through their leaves and this is a natural reaction.

Plenty of water and shade.

Keep watering throughout the day at their roots

13. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    If in pots re-plant into a bigger pot to provide a greater resevoir of water.

Stand in trays and water when tray is dry.

Add humidity to the greenhouse by watering the floor.

Provide maximum ventilation

14. AirAssisted

AirAssisted Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

Here is my poor plant, image quality isn't brilliant, but I think the clue might be on the neighbouring plant - the dry patches on the leaves ..... Have they been too thirsty? Only one plant seriously effected though ...

15. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,347
    This may sound a bit contradictory (but isn't :)) but the one on the left looks as though it has drooped from lack of water and the dry patches on the leaves on the one on the right are likely to be from water drops getting on them and the sun burning them by magnification.

Water them well but not with a rose on your watering can or a spray nozzle on your hose. Just water at the base without getting any on the leaves. If it is just a lack of water the plant should recover OK.

It looks as though you have made some sort of trough, or bed with plastic underneath the soil. There is no problem with that (very convenient) but if it is totally enclosed you may need a few drainage holes (to stop it getting waterlogged). It looks large enough not to have much problem with that. If the front edge is not raised like the back edge then you may get the common problem of the water washing off the surface before it has time to penetrate the soil. In which case it would help if you buried 4" pots between the plants with a half inch lip standing above soil level (be careful not to damage the roots). Then you can water the plants by filling the pots with water and they will take the water down to the roots.

This method is also very good for hanging baskets so that you don't wash the soil out of the basket when you are watering.