tomato plants

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by pakie0, Apr 29, 2005.

1. pakie0

pakie0 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    this year for the first time I bought tomato plug plants and planted them in grow bags in a heated greenhouse and 6 or 8 weeks on these plants are no bigger than the length of my thumb do you think I should replant other plants before much longer :confused:

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,879
    I can't think why,I take it they have had plenty of light?

I always raise my tomatoes from seed ( as they don't take that long to germinate).

I would really suggest, that if they are the size of your thumb (at that you are not a giant ;) ), i would go to a local nursery and buy some more.

I prefer small tomatoes like gardeners delight ( which I have again this year), and I am also experimenting with 'Sweet Million'.

Sorry I can't help further.

Nathan.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,310
    pakieO
    I think maybe you should have potted them up into say 4 in pots for a while, rather than putting straight into a grow bag. Need to get a good root system going first. Are they a bit purple in colour? If so they have been checked, and will take a long time to recover
    As Nathan says probably best to buy some more now its brighter and warmer they should get away well.

4. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I always seed Toms in small peat pots so you don't disturb their root system when potting on...just drop the pot in a bigger, next size up say 4" till out in open or 9" pot or growbag.