Tomato seedlings - what would you do?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by FrancescaH, Apr 28, 2022.

1. FrancescaH

FrancescaH Gardener

Ratings:
    +549
    I'm about to have yet another disappointing tomato-growing season :(

Last year I lost all my plants to blight by August. I was able to harvest quite a lot but probably still lost about 70% of my crop.

This year, I seem to be having a problem at a much earlier stage!

So I moved house in March and wasn't able to start off my tomatoes until 21st March which was a little later than I hoped but not so bad. I used a different compost which I'm not a huge fan of...

I started them off in my conservatory which is unheated but they were on heat mats. I believe they have become stunted after getting too cold. We didn't realise when we moved in just how cold the conservatory got at night (around 6 degrees for a few nights! Basically only a degree or two above outdoor temps) so I am concerned that got cold and became stunted.

I was kidding myself that since it's warmed up now they would catch up. I always plant out my tomatoes on the 27th May (it's my Nanny's birthday and in our family that's just the day we plant out haha, it works!) and I'm looking at these sad sad seedlings and thinking no way are they going to get there in time. They're also incredibly leggy. My first time using LED lights and I don't think they're as good as my all-white ones which are much stronger (and I've only just managed to locate in a packed box!)

Anyway... these are just pathetic right?!

The "best" of the bunch is this leggy one:

3D6585F3-E1F5-4303-8772-7FC18B62978B.jpg

About half of them look like this though, completely terrible:

IMG_3583.JPG

They're not going to catch up are they? I'm considering potting on the "best" ones putting the stem in nice and deep. I will start putting them outside in the day in the sunshine a bit more. And I'm considering throwing out the terrible ones and just buying a handful of replacements this year from local sellers and trying my luck again next year.

So what would you do? Keep trying? Or ditch? Or keep the best and ditch the rest.

For reference this is where they were this time last year!

PXL_20210427_121141929.jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,398
    They are not looking good as you say.
    I'd be inclined to just keep the ones that seem to be doing half decent.

It really depends on how many plants you really need, they are not that expensive to buy these days, it just means you have to go with the varieties that are available.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • FrancescaH

FrancescaH Gardener

Ratings:
      +549
      I have halos and space for 16 plants. I preserve a lot so I tend to keep a handful of salad varieties and cherry, but then mostly grow sauce varieties so that I can make my own sauces throughout the year. Obviously last year being a total bust meant no stocks of tomato sauce and I very much miss it!

I normally keep about 2 of each variety and grow the bush cherry ones (the ones that are actually doing the best) in a wall planter.

I think I might get some seedlings from Facebook and call it quits on the terrible ones this year :(

• Informative Informative x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,398
        Do you grow outside or in a greenhouse, only I had a bad blight year last year so I'm growing mostly blight resistant ones this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • FrancescaH

FrancescaH Gardener

Ratings:
          +549
          All outside. This year I plan to have some varieties in a small growhouse but still mostly outside.

As far as I'm aware blight was a serious problem last year. I used to housesit for a lot of people with gardens and I don't know anyone who escaped the blight.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +45,653
            I would try and keep the best looking ones and pot on deeply. Get them outdoors as much as possible, wait for the temp to get to 10c before going out though. Natural sunlight is much better than growlamps.

If you have to buy some plants then go for blight resistant varieties, that is what I am growing mostly due to the bad experiences in the past. If money is an issue then just buy one or two good looking stubby blight resistant varieties at a garden centre, chose ones that have a couple of side-shoots and nuture those to give you a few extra 'free' plants, it's amazing how quickly side-shoot cuttings root and grow.

• Like Like x 3
            • FrancescaH

FrancescaH Gardener

Ratings:
              +549
              I caved and bought new tomatoes, enough to see me through. I potted on just a tiny handful of plants and binned the rest. The ones I've potted on are already looking pretty bad I couldn't deal with wasting more compost and pots on the awful tiny ones! Live and learn. Next year I'm hoping to get a proper greenhouse :)

• Like Like x 3
              • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
                +3,718
                No you didn't cave in you adapted:)

• Agree Agree x 1