1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomato seeds

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Peter Sullivan, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Peter Sullivan

Peter Sullivan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    I have some Tumbling Tom tomato seeds. I made a small wooden electrically heated growhouse currently achieving 17 to 21c. I had planned to sow some tomato seeds in a growbag in the growhouse, but having searched the internet for advice, cannot find any reference to sowing seeds directly into a growbag, only for planting small tomato plants. I am obviously new to this so any advice would be welcome.

2. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    I think you'd be better sowing your seed in a good seed compost first and when they are ready transfer to the growbag, i think there will be to many nutrients in the growbag for seeds.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
      Ratings:
      +54,374
      • Like Like x 1
      • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
        Ratings:
        +54,374
        :oopss: ...just realised you meant seed sowing...sorry.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,030
        Not a good idea to sow directly into a grow bag as @mazambo says.
        The norm is to sow into a seed tray of a 4 inch pot and then transplant seedlings into single pots of around 4 inches.
        Plant in the grow bag when about 8 to 12 inches high and the first flower buds are showing.

17 to 21C is that a day or night temperature, you will need around a night min of 16C for seedlings to grow well.

• Like Like x 1
        • Peter Sullivan

Ratings:
          +20
          Thank you @mazambo. I have seed trays, pots and seed compost, so will start them that way.

Thank you @Upsydaisy. When the plants start growing I will follow the information you pointed me to.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Peter Sullivan

Ratings:
            +20
            Thank you @pete for that information.

I have a wifi sensor in the growhouse that relays temp/humidity to a display in the house. Just checked the max/min over the last 24 hours and it gave 21.3c and 15.8c. The heating is provided by a 180 watt 3 foot long tube heater with a thermostat so I can vary the temperature as needed.

• Like Like x 2
            • moonraker

moonraker Gardener

Ratings:
              +243
              Hi,
              Just to help you understand why seed compost first,
              The seeds have to breakout of the shell/pods etc and then push through the compost/soil to get to the light /heat etc of the "now" growing stage,
              Seed compost is very ligh and wont hold very much moisture and has very little if any food value and so the differnce between the growing compost as in the compost growing bags is these bags are full of both feed and moisture keeping compound,

If you sow seed in such conditions as a moisture containing bag/pot's your giving the seed to much moisture and the seeds can rot,

Warning,
              seeds have their own short term food in the pod/shell pre breaking out of these shell's/pods
              But seed compost has no feed in them and so the likes of tom's need to be re,potted so the young "now plant" can feed and continue to grow,

Tip ref tom's
              when repotting plant the new plant when the first leaf (common leaf) opens out fully into a good compost deep enough so these common leaf are just a little bit above the new compost,
              By planting this way the new plant will grow much stronger and root much better as its now using all the plant stem to grow stronger rooting system,

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,204
                You may well get away with broadcasting your seeds in a growbag, many times in the garden we are pulling up small tomato plants that have self seeded from our garden compost.

As @moonraker sways, the catch is, sowning this time of year is that a grow bag will hold a lot more water and with the seedling using so little its too easy for them to rot or get too cold.

Many of us know that when sown in a small pot, 50 to 100mm with a topping of compost or perlite, the strongest seedlings are often the ones by the outside of the pot where drainage is best and the heat warmest.

We also use a 3ft tubular heater but find the best results given if you have a small fan in there to distrubute the heat better and also seems to help the plants in other ways.
                We use one of the USB 5v desktop fan with a 6" blade

• Like Like x 1
                • Peter Sullivan

Ratings:
                  +20
                  Thanks very much to @moonraker and @ricky101. Very useful info :blue thumb:

This forum is great, just like having an expert gardener advising me and putting me on the right track :smile:. Tomato seeds are now in pots of seed compost. I'm sure I will have more questions soon. Thanks everyone.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Peter Sullivan

Ratings:
                    +20
                    @ricky101
                    I have a usb powered fan kicking around somewhere, so will search that out and fit it in my growhouse. I'm currently much better at doing a bit of wiring or building a wood/glass growhouse than actually gardening, but hopefully that will start to change :smile:.
                    Thanks for the suggestion :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
                    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +4,204
                      Hi,

Do not know how big your growhouse is, but our enclosure, inside the greenhouse and used for growing orchids, is about 4 x 3 x 2 ft and one of these fans covers that area just right, strong enough to move the heat all around but no so the plants are over buffeted.

To say its quite moist in there did not expect the fan to last that long, but its been going 24/7 for 3 years now, still on ebay for £9.99
                      Used USB 5V as most mains fans not very will insulated against moisture, simple enough if using a little wall pack power supply.

We also have a heated bench area and a little heated seed tray which allow us to keep thing ticking over all winter.
                      Using a high temp seed tray, eg up to 20c, means you can keep the other areas at a much lower temp, yet the plants still growing ok.
                      Each area with its own temp control keeps the running cost down.

Also find some cheap led lights in these winter/early spring months helps the seedings and cuttings grow much better.

000108.jpg

000109.jpg

• CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
                      Ratings:
                      +4,344
                      Hi @ricky101 identical fans in Home Bargains for £2.99. I've put 2 in the heated section of my greenhouse on a timer. Main problem was finding a plug to connect to 2 USB - so used an old hub.

• Like Like x 2
                      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +4,204
                        Hi @CarolineL - did look at HB site, but think yours are 4" fans, not the larger 6" we use ..?

Not sure why you need to use a timer, partic if its heated, surely better to keep them on all the time ? plus they say a breeze /movement builds stronger plants.

If the fans are just that bit too strong you can readily drop the voltage by using a diode or two or one of the little adjustable regulator modules.

UK Stock
                        000112.jpg

Not diverging from Peters topic too much, just wondered if you had done any more to your moisture recorder /waterer ?
                        Have not myself as have been porting my aquarium code over to an Aduino compatible ESP32 module which has wifi and BT built in for around £10.
                        Think it will allow me to update the old Arduino Greenhouse controller as the latest screens like below have touch control so we can really fine tune the set Temperatures and send the data back to the house without cables as we currrently use.

Protoype board
                        000110.jpg

• Like Like x 1
                        • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
                          Ratings:
                          +4,344
                          Hi @ricky101 - you're right, they are smaller. They're on a timer because I'm a cheapskate! No, I'm afraid I haven't done anything further with the kit. As I may have mentioned, I was going to build it for a colleague at the botanic garden to use on proteas. However we have been concentrating on trying to set up the facilities for orchid seed sowing in petri dishes, so that has been the focus instead. Also I have lost my coding mojo for the moment. I spent so much of my working life with code that I have gone off it for now. Hopefully that will change fairly soon...