1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomato Taste Test

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Sep 5, 2010.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,057
    Here's what I picked this evening:

[​IMG]

I'm growing some outdoors as well as in the greenhouse. The colander is from 6 outdoor plants, I've got 12 plants in the greenhouse. It shows the difference in productivity between the two methods. The outdoor ones compensate by tasting just that bit nicer I think.

Taste Test, in order of my preference:
    1. Golden Sunrise is my favourite, very soft and thin skinned. Its medium sweet and not tangy. Mrs JWK says its a bit too watery for her.
    2. A close runner up is Gardener's Delight, its very sweet, firm and tangy.
    3. New Girl, very very early - the plants have finished now, I just picked the last truss, they have been excellent, nearly all the fruit unmarked and very firm - it's Mrs JWK's favourite.
    4. Edit 9thSept: Just tried the Amish Paste and they are lovely - nice and firm not mushy like other beefsteak types I've tried in the past. We've eaten them raw and cooked, both ways they are great - I'm certainly going to grow them again - thanks capney for the seed!
    5. Sungold: Small, sweet and very tasty,
    6. Black Cherry, a small soft tasty fruit - thicker skinned than the rest of my trial.
    7. Floridity - won an RHS taste trial last year so I thought I give it a go. It's a very firm nice texture and a lovely shape - it's nice but I think the others taste nicer. It's probably the best one for my packed lunch as, being so firm, it doesn't explode all over the keyboard if I'm eating at my desk!
    8. Black Russian, this is a very distinctive savoury taste, not sweet or tangy - almost salty.

I also grew Minibel - not on photo, I only grew it because the seed packet came free with Gardeners World magazine - I discarded the plant a week ago as they were so awfully bland.

I've also grown Black Krim which is a beefsteak type, but lost all the fruit to mould :scratch:

All in my humble opinion and my personal taste of course! :thumb:

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :ntwrth::ntwrth::ntwrth: Just what I needed to see after trying to salvage green toms from the blight :halp:

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from that, well done sargent, lovely crop :thumb:

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,057
    Cheers Ziggy, I may have misled you! It's not really just one day's pickings, it's what has ripened since last weekend.

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Thanks for that John - an interesting post and it's given me some ideas for next year.

6. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Well done JWK. Lovely tomatoes.
    I'm a bit surprized at your outdoor crop.
    I'm in Perthshire, don't bother with a greenhouse and grow all my tomatoes outdoors.
    From Tigerella, Red Cherry and Ilde I've had all the tomatoes I can eat for the last month, with plenty to come. All lovely flavoured tomatoes.
    I'll try to post a pic.

7. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,057
    There are lots waiting to ripen on my outdoor ones Alice, I guess its the poor weather we have had recently.

8. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Would love to cook up some Floridity in an onion and sausage bake, yum ! I reckon they would cook well and pop lovely in the mouth :D

9. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Interesting thread John, and glad to see the armish came good for you.

10. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Thank you, John - that was really interesting. Your crop looks fantastic.

I've grown a few plants outside this year and have found the orange cherry tomato 'Sungold' to be a really sturdy, vigorous plant as well as prolific cropper. I haven't any blight anywhere (yet) but my 'Gardener's Delight plants are beginning to look a bit manky now whereas the 'Sungolds' are still going strong. As for the Moneymakers, well, plenty of utterly tasteless tomatoes, mostly still green. Wouldn't bother with them again.

11. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    Well I've just had some 'Garden Pearl' and 'Minibel' basket toms for lunch.

Chopped into a cheese n ham toastie, with roughly chopped basil.

Definitely passed the taste test!

12. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,664
    Very nice selection you have there John.:gnthb:

13. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,057
    We have only been cooking the bigger ones, the small ones we've been eating raw, but that is a great idea - I'll give it a try - yum!

14. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,057
    We have now tried the Amish Paste and they are lovely! Nice and firm, not mushy like other beefsteak types I've tried in the past. We've eaten them raw and cooked, both ways they are great - I'm certainly going to grow them again - thanks capney for the seed!

15. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0