1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomato - Truss AND sideshoot

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Steve R, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    I've just noticed that one of the trusses on one tom plant has turned into a sideshoot at the end of the truss away from the main stem, is this a relatvely normal occurence?

Steve...:)

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    Do you mean that the truss is developing leaves? If so I think its fairly common Steve. I would not pinch it out unless it gets out of hand.

3. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    No, not leaves. At the end of the truss (away from the main stem) I have growing what looks like a sideshoot..that one would normally pinch out. I'll get a photo this afternoon.

4. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    Here we go, hope you can see it clearly....

[​IMG]

Its a mutant isn't it..:hehe:

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    I've seen that on mine sometimes, I would nip it off.

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,487
    Yep, if I'm seeing it right then it's quite common. The truss is continuing to grow after the toms have formed. I usually pinch out that growing end. If you don't it will continue to grow like a normal sideshoot and will divide and, eventually, have another truss further along on one of the shoots. The problem with this is that the branch won't be strong enough to take the weight of another truss of toms and, anyway, the plant should be producing plenty of toms on other trusses.

The trouble with indeterminates is that they will continue to branch (side shoots) and form trusses for as long as the plant can absorb enough nutrients. With enough nutrients, warmth and light they could, in theory, continue growing many metres long. I have seen them over 10 metres long in hot houses near us.

Just in case I am not seeing your photo correctly I suggest you wait until others have seen it and commented. :thumb:

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    My tomato plants usually take on the appearance of having been grow in spent nuclear reactor fuel!

The surfaces of the leaves sprout little leaves, or another side-shoot from the end, and trusses often form side-shoots at the ends - and more flower trusses.

I pinch them out when I spot them in time - they apply too much weight to the wrong part of the plant if left.

I *think* this happens more to me Gardeners Delight than other varieties, but I think I see it on all of them at one time or another.

Been meaning to ask if it was to do with growing them in country in any way (most of the locals having several heads, extra toes, and the like [according to folklore ...] :) so thanks for raising the question.

8. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    Thankfully I'm not the only one who grows mutants then, I must ask my twelve toed neighbours if they know of other occurences in the area. Just for reference sakes, this was on one of my "Gourmet" tom plants and yes....I'm out in the country also.

9. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Your not the only one Steve. I had it on some of mine last year.
    The season was not long enough to see what happened before the dreaded blight struck..
    robert

10. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Yep, I get that too. I just pinch them out :thumb: