1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

tomato

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by thriftybri, Jun 22, 2018.

1. thriftybri

thriftybri Gardener

Ratings:
    +209
    mmmmmmmmmmm I have a problem its coming up to a year since we moved into this house its has a small 6x4 polycarbonate green house ,last year I was too late to get a crop of toms, the plants grew to about 2 foot before the first truss formed but as I said it was too late to get any tomato,s.This year I planted my tomato,s on a bedroom window sill the cherry type, and then planted them in grow bags in the greenhouse but the same is happening again they are over 2 foot high before the first truss has flowers on? I side shoot them, so whot am I doing wrong? too warm? or whot,if anybody can advise me on this fire away I do not feed till first truss has formed either cheers bri

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,074
    What variety @thriftybri ? Some older heritage types tend to have taller stems to the first truss. I suspect though it's down to lack of light in the early stage when you had them on a warm window sill. It is very difficult to stop them going leggy. During March/April I move mine outdoors as much as possible during the day to get good sunshine and cooler conditions.

• Like Like x 1
    • thriftybri

thriftybri Gardener

Ratings:
      +209
      see if I can find the packet there were yellow and red sorts, sweetmillion F1 and honeybee F1 (yellow) both cheery types@JWK

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,718
      I agree with John.
      High temps and poor light in the early stages.
      The one thing you could do to help is to plant deeper if they are a bit leggy at planting time.
      And only plant out when you see signs of the first flowers in the top.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,074
        It's tricky to plant deep using growbags unless you put them at an angle. I had a look at my tomatoes today and most of the first trusses are 12" off the soil. Gardener's Delight seem to be higher - around 18" to the first truss.

• Like Like x 1
        • sandymac

sandymac Super Gardener

engineer
          Ratings:
          +914
          Mine always used to be the same even using T5 lights in the early stages, this would prevent them becoming leggy but first trusses were always high up on the plant.
          This year I invested in a good LED light system for the early stages of growth and all my first trusses are between 8 and 9 inches from the soil. The grafted crimson crush I bought are really healthy with thick stems, not leggy at all however first trusses are 20 inches from soil and flowers have not yet opened and the so called gardeners delight I bought in, the first trusses are 16 inches from the soil so I agree JWK is spot on about low light and warm conditions delay first truss development.
          Regards Sandy

• Like Like x 2
          • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
            Ratings:
            +3,698
            To achieve deep planting in grow bags, cut them in half (the growbags that is!) and stand them on end, works well in a greenhouse and it is how I always planted mine in the greenhouse at home, Now of course I grow mine in the polytunnel at the plot.

Steve...:)

• Informative Informative x 1