Tomatoes from cuttings?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ClaraLou, Jun 30, 2010.

1. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    I read recently that tomatoes can be raised from cuttings. This appeals to my mean streak - it would be a very good use for all those sideshoots which have to get removed - and it would also save a lot of messing around with seeds. Has anyone tried this method? How difficult is it to overwinter tomatoes under cover?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,124
    I have tried it Clara, by taking the side shoots & putting them in a jar of water with a couple of drops of rooting hormone liquid in the water.. They were rooted in a week.! Not done it this year though as don't have room... I take the cuttings way back at the beginning of May & get the fruits in the same year & have never tried to over winter them, but I would think you would defo need a heated green house & keep the temp at a min of 10c..!! Hope that helps.:thumb:

3. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    Cuttings are very easy. Just pinch off a side shoot, pop it in a pot of compost, water, and put in a warm place. Do it now, re-pot when it is established and growing strongly, and it might flower and crop this year.

As for overwintering, I really wouldn't bother. Just do new plants next year.

4. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Thank you, Marley and andrewh. I'm certainly going to save those side shoots next year. Maybe I'm being a bit optimistic about overwintering tomatoes in my little conservatory. I just can't bear to throw anything away!

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,124
    :wink: Well if you really want to try it then do so Clara & have an experiment, you could get a thread running about it.. You can keep us all updated on the progress & if you can get them through then Whooppee maybe you have a "1st" on your hands.. :wink::thumb:

6. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Hi Marley

Yes, maybe I'll do that. It's not as though I will have lost anything if the plants die ... although I will have to spend the winter listening to my OH moaning about my cluttering up the place with plants and gardening stuff. But then, that's not new. :)

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,297
    I know a number of commercial tomato growers that use the side shoots as cuttings. As one of them said, "Nip off the side shoots when they are about 6" high. Then plonk them into some compost and watch them catch up to their parent".

Overwintering:- I wouldn't bother, but it may be an interesting experiment. Even if it was just to thumb your nose at the OH. :hehe:

8. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    As an aside, it is well worth trying overwintering chilli plants indoors, particularly the small bushy types with small, hot fruit. As they are slow growing, it helps you get an earlier crop the next year.

I harvested my first chillis from the "Demon Red" that I overwintered in the bathroom in May!

9. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,297
    Some of my chilli plants are now 5 years old :thumb: but they are getting a bit woody even though I prune them back hard.

10. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,635
    I use the side-shoots to grow new plants alongside my early ones. I've already nipped out the top of my early plants and the new young plants (grown from the side-shoots) will take over in a month or two. I just push the side-shoots into the soil next to the parent and away they go.