1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomatoes - next year

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Sargan, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Sargan

Sargan Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    Grow tomatoes in my greenhouse - I have found that 'Shirley' seem to do well, have good flavour.(and plants on sale locally)

Can I just take the seeds out of one of the fruits ... let them dry off, and then use these next year and create my own plants ?

Always bought plants - thought I could grow my own from seed.

Anybody have any other 'really' tasty tomato variety ? I would be willing to try.

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Shirley are F1 hybrids so will not grow true if grown from saved seeds.

Non-F1 seeds are easy to save, some people just dry off seeds, but the 'recommended' method is to squirt seeds from ripe fruit into some water and let them ferment for a few days, then rinse/strain to remove crud and dry. I save seeds this way from around 10 varieties every year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1