Tomatoes slow to grow/ ripen.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Freedom_Spark, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    How has everyone's tomatoes been this year? Some of my cherries are only starting to colour now whereas my large tomatoes are still growing, it's been a pretty rubbish summer here in Northern Ireland but they are in the greenhouse so I'd expect them to be a little faster than this, this is my third year of growing tomatoes and I'm yet to have any great sucess with them, the first year I had blight, last year I had a few decent trusses but most refuse to ripen for me, any advice?

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    All of ours, inside and outdoors are about a month behind this year. Normally at this time of year we would be picking outdoor cherry toms every day but so far we've picked about six and they are very slow to ripen.
    We've got plenty ripening now in the polytunnel and greenhouse but we didn't pick our first until late July.
    Cucumbers have done well but butternut squash outdoors have been a waste of space.

You can speed up ripening by a high potash feed and /or by hanging a ripe banana or two among the plants.

3. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi F/S.

I'm kinda surprised that yours are so late to ripen. My greenhouse tomatoes are actually going to be over soon, maybe in two or three weeks. As far as I'm aware, there are two things that can cause a lack of ripening. The first is low temperatures, which given the fact that yours are in the greenhouse, seems a bit unlikely. The second is too high a temperature and exposure to too much direct sunlight. In this second case one usually finds that although they do eventually ripen, it's very uneven. There's actually a name for this, but it passes me by. No doubt 'JWK' will be along shortly, and he's the resident tomato expert :)

Cheers...Freddy.

4. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,834
    My tomatoes in the Greenhouse are well behind their usual ripening time in contrast to last year:( I've got Rosada, Juliet and Shirley varieties with load of fruit, but the first two are ripening in fits and starts and are well ahead of the last. A very strange and dull summer is responsible for the slow ripening, I guess.:scratch:

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,635
    I don't know the answer FS. It has been another strange year for my tomatoes too.To begin with I had a good crop, mainly because the weather in Spring was sunny. I get an early start with my plants, sowing in Jan/Feb and nuturing them indoors until the frosts have gone, my first toms ripen in late June.

This last month my tomatoes (and cucumbers) have slowed right down, I'm still getting enough ripening but the plants aren't nearly as well loaded as in other years. I agree with Armandii, it's just been too dull this last month for them. I removed all my shading over this weekend to try and help (normally I leave it on until the end of the season).

6. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    A very strange summer indeed here, my toms are way behind, but potatoes, apples, blackberries, pears and plums are weeks ahead.

7. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,311
    You're just over the water from me FS. Mine cropped heavily last year, but have been slow this year, partly down to the weather I think. I have also noticed here in the north west some varieties do better than others. I grew Gardeners Delight this year and last, they were slow this year. I also grew Golden Pearl last year that weren't very successful. This year Sungold and they have cropped really well.

I've also noticed that tomatoes can be erratic from year to year, even if the weather patterns are stable.

I start my seeds off mid-March.

8. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Interesting posts, as mine are really producing. Indeed, I can't eat them quick enough, having to give quite a few away.

9. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,635
    Same here, some of my other veggies have done really well, Runner Beans and Potatoes are the best I've every grown :scratch:

10. Rockmoc

Rockmoc Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    I am in the slow to ripen. The out doors toms are real slow. I did have a spurt of ripening outdoors but back to waiting again now :gaagh:

11. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    I'm glad to here that your butternut squash have been rubbish Dave, I've only got one and it's a tiddler. Strange, as the courgettes in the same plot hae been great. Likewise, cucumbers in the greenhouse have done well, tomatoes fattening nicely but ripening slowly.

Just cut back the ivy and oak tree to try to get a bit more light.

12. Moopants

Moopants Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm in west of scotland and im having a rubbish year. There are a few growing but theyre still green. There are lots of flowers just no toms from most. If I get 10 before the year is out i'll be happy.

13. CazH1975

CazH1975 Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Mine are slow to ripen too, first year of growing them myself so thought it was something I'd done wrong! Mine are outside due to the greenhyouse being relocated but think I might put them back in it.

I've tried the banana skins trick and it seems be be working on some of them.

Read on the news yesterday that this summer has been the coolest since 1993

14. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    I'm glad I'm not the only one then, the only thing I can think of aside from the weather is the fact that I often forget to close the greenhouse door at night and I suppose the temperature gets pretty low. I hope one day I'll manage to get an abundance of ripe tomatoes, though I might have to move to France or Italy at this rate, which would be a 'sacrifice' I'd be willing to make :sunny:

15. Neil@49aburnfoot

Neil@49aburnfoot Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    another year or green tomato chutney.:rolleyespink:
    going to bring plants on earlier next year.
    i have great size but still bright green.