tomatoes watering

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by thriftybri, Jul 9, 2019.

1. thriftybri

thriftybri Gardener

Ratings:
    +208
    I have a polycarbonate 6x4 greenhouse two growbags inside, 3 toms in each growbag I have noticed the plants wilting during the day but ok next morning the compost always seems to be dry, so whot I want to know is how much water per plant per day do they need, I looked it up but are baffled I read you insert a bottle into the bag and water so
    the water goes straight to the roots? I open door during the day and window in the g/house roof is always open, anybody have any ideas ,thanks bri

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

Its a combination of things and down to how you water the plants.

Expect your toms are about 6ft high by now , so they will be needing lots of water.

You will likely need to water first thing in the morning and when you get in early evening.

Water steadily, and use a rose on your can so it gives the water time to gently soak into the compost.

With well grown tall plants, I would think a 5/6 ltr can would be needed each time and use a tomato feed once a week.
    Fill you can up after each watering, so its warmed up by the sun ready for the next watering.

Often when using a grow bag, its states on the bag to make some small slits in the side of the bag, so if you over water , it has some escape, rather than water logging the roots.

3 large healthy growing toms in a grow bag will always be prone drying out, but next year you could 'double deck' two grow bags to increase its water holding capacity, though I tend to use large tubs these days for this very same problem.

Also, shading has a role to play, if your greenhouse is in full sun all day you usually need to add some shading, be it netting or a whitewash. I use paint on Vitax Shading, works well on polycarb.

• Like Like x 1
    • thriftybri

thriftybri Gardener

Ratings:
      +208
      thanks for info