1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Too Late or not at all ??

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mick, Mar 28, 2013.

1. mick

mick Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi I have acquired a load of pig manure and was wondering if I could put it around my strawberry plants ?

2. Tee Gee

Tee Gee Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +172
    Pig manure can be quite wet so personally I wouldn't, it may not have fully rotted away come harvest time, so it has the potential to make harvesting a rather " messy" job ( or words to that affect) ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • mick

mick Gardener

Ratings:
      +9
      :biggrin: hmm it does look pretty wet even though its been under cover and rotting for a few years now.

• honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,915
      :eeew:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,062
      If you can still make out the constituents then it's not propely rotted down in that case I'd stack it up in a corner and leave it over summer. Otherwise it would be good for digging into the ground for growing potatoes.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Antonig

Antonig Apprentice Gardener

Tiler
        Ratings:
        +15
        I wouldn't use any 'muck' or feed of any nature on strawberries until flowering gets underway. Too much goodness in the soil when strawbs are only just ready to take off will result in an awful lot of lush green leaves. I believe feeding once the fruits start to swell gets the best results. Just a personal point of view. :)