1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Too late to prune hedge?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by MarionGarden, Jun 21, 2019.

1. MarionGarden

MarionGarden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everyone,

Very first post!

I planted a RPSB approved hedge in November. I ordered it online from Best4Hedging. It came as bare root “twigs” of hawthorn, blackthorn, bird cherry, god rose and guelder rose. It really didn’t look like much when I first planted it, just many sticks poking out of the ground. Seven months later and it is very leafy BUT some “twigs” are now quite tall (about 1.7m I think).

How do I stop them from turning into trees? I think I should have pruned the hedge in early spring, but it didn’t seem that tall at the time. Can I just snip the top of the tall “twigs” now or is it too late in the year?

Thanks in advance for your help! As you can tell I am a beginner.

2. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    @MarionGarden I don't know about the rest of your hedge but I used to trim my hawthorn hedge when required at any time of year without any ill effect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,635
      Hi @MarionGarden , welcome!

Your hedge sounds brilliant, it will be a wildlife haven very soon. Well done for going for a nature friendly hedge :blue thumb:

Totally agree with mazambo, the plants can be pruned as needed when they are growing. There are no hard rules for informal hedges, go with what the plants are doing.

• Like Like x 1
      • MarionGarden

MarionGarden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +3
        Thank you both! I’m relieved to learn that I can do some pruning now. I will give it a good this weekend :-)

• blackstart

blackstart Gardener

Ratings:
        +105
        Hi MG, good to hear you have a bird/wildlife friendly hedge. When it gets more established it may be best to prune it around February time. By then hopefully no birds will be nesting and any nectar or berries will have been used as food by wildlife. It will also set up the hedge for the new growth in spring.

Regards

Blackstart