1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Too Late To Start Potatoes?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Rhyleysgranny, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I used to grow spuds in the garden but we extended the patio so my potato patch went. Is it too late to start them now? I thought of growing some in containers. I would have normally started in March but you know when an idea hits you................

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,024
    Its not too late yet - I've got half of my seed potatoes waiting to be planted - but the bed is occupied by winter brocolli that we are still picking, I might take them out this weekend. You might have some trouble locating some seed spuds, guess you only need a few for tubs, pity you are not near me or I'd let you have some as i've still got way too many.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I bought some online a few weeks ago and their were slow at delivery (website said "couple of day", email said "We are very busy at this time of the year" and delivery took a couple of weeks :(

So best to buy where you can take them with you, or you are sure of the delivery date, 'coz you need to be planting them SOON!

You need large containers, or something like Marshall's grow-bags

4. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have ordered them from Dobies. They say up to 14 datys delivery. They had an offer for three growbags with 15 seed potatoes. £14.95. The weather is still cold here so maybe It'll be alright. I need to chit them of course but surely that will not take long at this time of the year will it? If I get them in before the end of May? What do you think?

JWK that was a sweet thought.........thank you

Kristen where did you order yours from?

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,024
    Yes, get them to chit before planting, that will help them to catch up a bit. Like you say, at this time of year chitting shouldn't take long.

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "Kristen where did you order yours from?"

Marshalls. When I enquired, by email, about the status of my order they were quick to respond and explain that they were very busy this time of the year. But delivery was quite a bit slower to what their website said - if they had shown the delivery date on the website it would have saved them the admin cost of dealing with my enquiry - but then they may have lost my order to a competitor who was not telling the truth on their web site either!

I didn't bother to chit mine, but they did take a while to appear above the compost surface, so maybe I should have done.

7. Manteur

Manteur Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My local Homebase still has seed spuds on sale looking very chittted. I bet they would grow like stink if planted out now.

8. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    I to had the bums rush from Marshalls... very busy.. blah.. blah..blah
    They did arrive in time, but they were unable to supply the type I ordered so they substituted. So far all containers are growing very well
    robert

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    In fairness they responded very promptly to my email. T&M on the other hand took nearly 10 days to respond, basically saying "They should be with you by now" which they were ... not really what I would call customer service!