Too many vegetables

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by The Little Gardener, Jan 8, 2006.

1. The Little Gardener

The Little Gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been growing vegetables now for three years,
    but just just grown too many at once, this year i have cut down and i am growing less,
    is this the right thing to do

2. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    if you are using commercial strains of seed esp F1 hybrids they will all tend to ripen at once
    you could try heritage varieties and grow for flavour and variety of species rather than yield, you can make soup in batches and freeze some, just throw everything in to the pot and whisk it once it has boiled up, freeze in marg tubs.
    freeze beans in batches,and young carrots etc, just wash, throw into boiling water , then into iced water, drain and bag
    you can grow heritage potatoes .... buying plants to propogate on to seed potaotes, and heritage seed potatoes for the pot and for seed ...... if too much seed, give them as xmas presents, explaining their heritage value
    you could try asparagus bed.... takes two years rather than three in olden days
    it depends on your family requirements, but most neighbours and friends would be happy to get a sample of your surplus bounty
    there are seeds for minature veggies ... for stir fry, also pakchoi which is a lovely veg and cooks up lovely, wot about growing for exhibition ..... u need to grow for perfection . again species are important

3. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    then again you could grow for wildlife .. using part of your veg garden for this, which would benefit the veggies .. if you are growin your own you don t want to be using pescticides, flowers like teasel and sunflower are great for birds and look cool too

4. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    If you grow too much of one thing, you could try a few new things, grow a row of raspberries or the like. Outdoor tomatoes are always tastier [to me]than greenhouse ones. Raspberry jelly unbeatable. I give some of my crop to an elderly neighbour who gives me the odd bottle. I grow far too many apples for example.

5. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    .and then there s wine making, some wines need a lot of fruit ,,,,,,,
    jellies ..... quince, redcurcurrant, blackcurrant, whitecuurant, crab apple,
    you could contact local winemaking society and swop fruit for product

6. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    I agree, I have made 3 gall apple/ ciderish wine, Photo smewhere in earlier post, and took it off the yeast a few days ago[ syphoned into new demijhons] of course it has to be tasted when almost clear, or sooner if you can't wait, all I can say is after 'about' one and a half glasses, my face went red down the one side. it tasted very apple'y, and I'm already looking foreward to making some more next year. all that goes in is lots of apples, sugar, boiled chlorine free water. and yeast. so you know its chemical free, Im not going to mention alcohol.

7. Herb

Herb Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Wish I could grow more! Send it this way! ;)

8. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Has anyone else got a dehydrator? My daughter gave me one for Christmas a few years ago, and you can dry fruit, veg etc in it. Lovely for snacks. Tomatoes can be either dried for use in soups later on or semi dried for snacks. Most useful for excess fruit [cherries, apples, pears, strawberries even raspberries are all lovely and very easy to do] but I like parsnips, carrots, and beetroot too!