1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Too soon to prune?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by eddybaby, Feb 26, 2019.

1. eddybaby

eddybaby Gardener

MD Print & Promotional Company
    Ratings:
    +114
    Hi. I have a young apple tree about 3 years old, Greensleeves I think. Is it too soon to start pruning it? As you can see it has branches and new growth going in all directions. I'd appreciate any help or advic 20190215_123218.jpg e.:love30:

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Not the best shaped tree is it Eddybaby? :sad: From the photo it is producing growth mostly on one side! Or is it just the way you have pictured it? (I prune for shape from maiden or very young trees to create balance from the start well before I think of any fruiting wood)

No, I would not prune it at all right now. If mine I would wait until late July/Early August and summer prune.......this encourages spurs (nearer the time I can explain how to summer prune if you like) on which next year’s fruit appears. It exposes any ripening fruit and allows air circulation; it also encourages the tree to form fruit buds instead of growth buds.
    As well as summer pruning for fruit I would look to try and balance that growth by shortening branches on the vigorous side

Incidentally, you can encourage growth on weak shoots by raising branches and reduce growth on strong shoots by lowering them. The more vertical a shoot is the more vigorous it is.
    This you can do during the summer

Is your tree growing in a pot, by any chance? Do you know if it is growing on a dwarf root stock? What sort of soil is it in? Did you enrich the planting site? It’s just that for a 3 year old tree it looks a tad small!!

I would remove that stake.....it looks like it could cause problems by rubbing against some branches. I would feed too.......fish blood and bone, chicken pellets or dried manure.....and then apply a thick mulch to conserve moisture during the growing season :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    • eddybaby

eddybaby Gardener

Ratings:
      +114
      Will do thank you once again Verdun I don’t know what Id do without you.:imphrt:

• Like Like x 2
      • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        If you want the tree to give fruit, then about now is the correct time to prune. Its easy enough to tell the difference between the two kinds of buds.

• Like Like x 1
        • eddybaby

eddybaby Gardener

Ratings:
          +114
          Hi Verdun. In February you gave me some tips re my apple tree, one being pruning in summer and the other feeding with blood fish & bone. Wondered if you can help? Please see attached picture as it how it looks now 20190729_115809.jpg Thanks in advance :wub2:

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Yes, time to summer prune soon ....ideal time for down here but I suggest where you are to delay until middle of August eddy baby :)

I would take a little off the growing tip, main stem too

On the other branches cut side shoots on each of them to about 3 buds. You want to do it as the wood becomes harder and not soft hence the timing. Too early and you will encourage further soft growth. It may not need much pruning this year but in future years there will be a lot more growth to spur back and it will become a simple annual task for you esp when you see how it fruits and where it fruits:)

I grow trained trees..espaliers, cordons and summer pruning is more necessary....but the same principle applies to untrained trees if you want compact high yielding fruit trees, viz., to produce “spurs” on which next year’s fruit will form. It reduces vigour and increases fruit production:)

Give it a go :)