too wet but watching gardening programmes

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by lazy-gardener, Jan 11, 2007.

1. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    My garden is far to wet to venture out in at the moment and i have no enthusiasm for it anyway at present! I have been taping old programmes from one of the sky ones at 9.30 and 10 each day and watching them when i get home! Its great and makes me feel like spring isnt that far away!! Only thing is - I wish these programmes would have a garden I can relate to instead of one that has lovely soil and is about the size of my garden plus all the others in the row put together. And its always facing the right way!Still I dont suppose it would be much of a programme if the garden is only 36 foot sqaure, north west facing and has a claggy clay soil!

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I think it would be much more interesting, not to mention practical, if they actually DID use your garden. Can't we petition the BBC gardening producers and suggest it? :D

3. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I too wish they use more real gardens. Mine is your typical Victorian narrow rectangle garden with a shed at the end and again facing the wrong way. Every gardening programme seems to have flower beds and veg beds in the same space but with the size of my garden only one is possible.

4. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I remember Geoff Hamilton divided his garden into small spaces and created different gardens in each to show what can be done. Mind you, he probably didn't have claggy clay.
    I think a petition for the BBC to use Johnny's garden would be great Dendy - count me in :D

5. Black Cat

Black Cat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Slightly off topic but did anyone watch the program last Friday night about growing veg on BBC2?

I was so disappointed by it, i thought it was going to be a back to basics program and was meant to be advising novice gardeners about veg growing but instead it seemed to spent about half the program dedicated to Jerusalem Artichokes, a veg I had never even heard of till earlier in the year!!

6. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  7. sheppy

sheppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, I remember Geoff Hamilton doing that too! I relax instantly that man's name is mentioned!! He had an old fashioned cottage garden in one that I adored and tried to copy - I wasnt amazingly successful though!!