1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tools For A New Gardening Business

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Richard11, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Richard11

Richard11 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am starting a new gardening business next spring and I now planning and about to purchase tools for the business. Can anyone tell me the essential tools that I need and any tips?

2. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    a decent mower that can pick up wet grass ... Etesia Pro

an old fashinoned cylinder lawn mower for those who want stripes

a petrol hedge trimmer ... Stihl

a petrol strimmer ... Stihl

a spade

a shovel

a leaf rake

a tooth rake

a dutch hoe

an edging knife

shears

lopers

small tools such as a weed fork, hand trowel, etc

a sprayer to use weedkiller

felco pruning shears

a good garden fork

a wheelbarrow

a pick axe

a saw for pruning

an ipod

and you will be all systems go ... you can buy other equipment as you get busier and the money rolls in ... this will get you started on domestic maintenace jobs

• Like Like x 1
    • alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,073
      Hi Richard,

From what point are you starting? - Are you a trained gardener or (please forgive my impoliteness), but just an over enthusistic amateur who thinks there is a few Bob (that dates me!!) to be made on the side.??

Alfred E Newman (aka *Dim*) makes a very good choice of tools for the professional.

ps *Dim* - Look at this manufacturer of fine Secateurs / Pruners Etc,

Original LÖWE - Original Löwe

• Like Like x 1
      • Xris

Xris Gardener

Ratings:
        +43
        U could also do with a good kneeling pad I've been running my gardening business for 3 years now an in that time I've tried knee pads bought the keeling cushions from various places in the end made my own out of two old compost bags at a couple of patio seat cushions trust me u will feel the benifit when having to hand weed fiddly borders . When buying your hand tools always go for good quality cos then u only have to shell out the once.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Worth going to a "farm machinery" type auction. You often pick up a job lot of spade, fork, pick axe etc for a few quid. Look for a spade with a carbon steel spade - it will be quite think, but strong, and make sure it has an upper edge that is bent over - i.e. where you stamp on it with your foot is not a sharp edge that will, over time, puncture your wellies / working boots.

Felco are the brand to loop out for in secateurs - suggest you go to a local garden centre and try them for size - they are called "No1, No 2 ..." - and then you'll know what size suits your hands (there is a left handled model too ...) if you see a bargain somewhere.

You might want to look at a Swoe rather than a Dutch hoe - more functional IMHO. Dunno if anyone other than Wilkinson Sword makes them though ...

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,089
        Depending on what work you get asked to do, you might need a lot less than Dim's list, which would prepare you for most eventualities. Many people will just ask you to do a bit of pruning, planting or weeding in their smallish gardens, and will already have a lawnmower and other tools that they are happy for you to use. So don't feel that you need to rush out to and buy the ideal professional toolkit all in one go.

• Xris

Xris Gardener

Ratings:
        +43
        Personally I wouldn't use a customers tools just Incase you damage them

• watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
        +549
        Just out of interest, Richard11 (who started this topic) only ever posted once more, 6 days after his initial post,
        never to be heard of again.:sofa:

(He did pop back in Jan, but never posted though) Lets all shout together, and may be he will come back.

• Xris

Xris Gardener

Ratings:
        +43
        Maybe he clicked his red Welles together 3 times

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
        perhaps he found out that it's difficult to make a living as a full time gardener (when it rains 5 days out of every 7)
        :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Xris

Xris Gardener

Ratings:
        +43
        I have a solution to that... Put ya coat on

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
        thats what I do .... and also get a mower that can pick up grass clippings when it rains ...

problem is, that when you get busy and maintain several gardens on a weekly basis, and work 8-9hr days, 2 days of heavy rain in a week puts you well behind with your schedule and it's difficult to catch up ... clients end up phoning and want their lawns mowed and gardens tidied

so, always keep 2 days free for the catchup, (saturdays and sundays) and this also allows you to quote for 1 off jobs at high rates on these days ...

if you get the one-off job, you make loads of extra cash ... if you don't get it, you have quality time with your family

• Like Like x 1
        • Xris

Xris Gardener

Ratings:
          +43
          Hmmm dim I might be askin you for a bit more advice

• Like Like x 2
          • Selena Richard

Selena Richard Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +7
            I recently purchased gardening equipment from Inthemarket. I have bought a polytunnel to grow my garden safe and secure. I suggest to go through Inthemarket if you looking quality product in cheap price.