1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Top dressing lawn..

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by GazSuttonUK, Apr 24, 2012.

1. GazSuttonUK

GazSuttonUK Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    I have a large lawn, it is fairly flat with some slight hollows..it is on clay soil and tends to be moist most of the time...
    Could I top dress with bulk bags of sharp sand to aid drainage and to fill slight hollows..
    Cheers.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    Yes! Also I would spike the lawn first so that some of the sharp sand will work it's way into the soil.

• Like Like x 1
    • GazSuttonUK

GazSuttonUK Gardener

Ratings:
      +26
      Thanks John, would the normal builders sharp sand be ok?

• Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
      +446
      Aerating prior to top dressing would be essential and sharp sand is spot on. Just make sure it doesn't smother the grass. Though once aerated you'll be surprised how much of the sand the lawn will swallow when raking in.

How many hollows are we talking about? If it's only a few you can cut to peel back the turf, under fill with soil then fold the turf back over. If that's the case post back and we'll talk you through that. If not it would be easier to just fill the hollows with a good quality topsoil then overseed. If you have access to a trulute you could always shave the crests in the lawn but it really depends how big an area/how much time you have/which method would work best for you.

• Like Like x 1
      • GazSuttonUK

GazSuttonUK Gardener

Ratings:
        +26
        Thank you very much for the information...
        The lawn is approx. 120ft x 50ft, there are quite a few hollows...you cant actually see them but you can feel them with the lawn mower(Qualcast Suffolk Punch)..
        Im trying to sort out a couple of bulk bags of sand...is sharp sand the same as concreting sand?
        Cheers..

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,062

I use builders sharp sand in my compost for potting on and for cuttings with no ill effects, it’s so much cheaper than horticultural sand. I’ve heard it say that builder’s sharp sand can contain excessive salts, but the horticultural sand is just the same except it’s been washed as far as I know. I’d take the risk in your situation, just make sure it is sharp sand not builders soft sand.

Sharp sand is not used for concreting. Just ask for 'sharp' or 'grit' sand.

• Like Like x 1