1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Top dressing new lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Pablo, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Pablo

Pablo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a new lawn grown from seed some 4 months ago, however, it does appear somewhat uneven (I have scalped some patches with a cylinder mower - cutting hight of 17mm)and therefore I am considering top dressing it.
    The lawn is grown on clay soil.

Questions:

1. Should I aerate a new lawn before top dressing or will this do more harm?

2. What is the best mixture to use for top dressing, and in what proportion to spread this out?

3. What is the easiest way of doing this in order to get a as flat as possible lawn.

Many thanks for your help.

Pablo

2. GARDENANGEL

GARDENANGEL Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pablo

Just to say I am doing the very same thing 1st week in September. I will not aerate my new lawn as I used a rotavator during my preparation when I sowed my lawn in May. A picture of it is posted in the gallery under 'My Garden' if your interested,

I will let you know what the top dressing mix is, once I have read the relevant chapter in my lawn book tonight!! That's if someones doesn't beat me to it!!!

3. GARDENANGEL

GARDENANGEL Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This was taken from the RHS website:

Top dressing corrects surface irregularities and improves the texture of difficult soils, consequently encouraging greater rooting and thickening of turf. A simple mixture is three parts sandy loam, six parts sharp sand and one part compost or leafmould (by volume). Apply 2-3kg per sq m, working the dressing in well with the back of a rake.

4. Pablo

Pablo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for that. I shall certainly give it a go. Good luck with the lawn.

Pablo