1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Top Dressing

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by andy, Mar 20, 2005.

1. andy

andy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We had a new lawn laid last April. After the first cut this year, the ground seems a little uneven. The ground itself is rather damp and has a lot of clay underneath. I was going to look at Top Dressing with lots of sharp sand. As I know little of this subject, is this OK ?

Also, how wrong can I go doing this myself. Is it better to get someone in to do this ? Who would be a good person ?

Thanks and sorry for my ignorance !

Andy

2. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    How fit are you? You shouldn't have too much moss to get out if it's only a year old but thats the fist thing to do either with a rake or hire a lawn scarifier. Next either with an ordinary fork and a bit of wiggling or a hollow tyne fork made for aoreating lawns make a row of holes every six inches or so. Then brush/rake your sharp sand, it helps if it's dry, down the holes.It will look awful. The holes let the water drain and the sand keeps the holes open. It's not technically difficult but it is hard work. You can do it spring or autumn and you don't have to do the whole lawn only the soggy bit but it does make a big difference.

3. andy

andy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks - i'll not go to the gym over the weekend and i'll ask the wife to put some beers in the fridge for when i've finished !