1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Top soil depth

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Michael neal, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Michael neal

Michael neal Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Ok so after removing last years disasterours lawn...I'm doing it myself....

I've been reading about different top soil depths...

Some say 2" is ok, some say others more....much more....

Ground is rather sandy

Question is what should I do for my topsoil depth?....

20sqm to returf ...2 bulk bags of topsoil coming...is that enough....1 bag equates to approx 30sqm...so I think it'll come out to about 3"

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    The different recommended depths will be down to the differing experiences of people managing different local conditions.

Everywhere I've dug is mostly clay, so I'd never bothered with top soil. I'd just loosen the clay with manure and or sand.

You say your soil is sandy. It will drain freely. Therefore you need to prevent it drying out. @Sheal works sandy soil. She might have some good advice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Michael neal

Ratings:
      +3
      Thanks...I have removed my sparse old turf from last year..

This is my soil , very sandy and rather dry a fair few inches down too... image.jpeg

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,567
      Two to three inches would be good Michael. Grass roots grow to about 3/4 inches in depth and the turf will already have a certain amount attached. Before you lay the turf check that the topsoil has been firmed down and is laying even, once that's done gently rake to loosen the top of the soil so the grass roots have something to grip on to. I wouldn't feed the lawn before next spring but make sure it doesn't dry out until it's established. :)

• Michael neal

Ratings:
      +3
      Many thanks....I got some pre lawn fertiliser too.. I'm trying everything the "professional" who did it last year didn't
      And blocking it off completely for a month (no kids,dogs ,humans lol )

image.png

• Friendly Friendly x 1