1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Topiary lollipops

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by tommymcg, Jul 14, 2021.

1. tommymcg

tommymcg Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Folks
    Not having much luck with the lollipops, must admit was away from home and they did suffer from lack of water for a short while but keeping them well hydrated now. Is there any way of restoring them to there happy green condition? Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,058
      It looks dead to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,635
        The best thing to do now is to keep it moist but not waterlogged, and not in full sun. If the new growth starts, feeding gently would help, but not before that. Then next year you can clip them hoping that the new growth will cover the old, discoloured one.

I have a Box in a container, and manage to get it into nearly that state every year. :redface: Draught and direct sunlight make it look horrendous and nearly die, but it does bounce back with a little TLC and has been happily growing for a decade.

If there is no new growth this summer, I'm afraid it's a goner. Good luck!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • tommymcg

Retired
          Ratings:
          +1
          Hi Thanks for your words of encouragement, it is better than "It looks dead to me"!!!!!

I have taken them into the shade and using the plant pot saucers should give sufficient water supply so they can hopefully recover?

What should I feed them if they start to come on and how much?

Thanks for your assistance it is greatly appreciated.

• hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
          +682
          I am afraid I agree with JWK. Scratch a little bit of the main stem. If it is still green then you have a chance but I doubt the leaves will return to being green. Prior to the fairly severe topiary that has been carried out on the box?, the plant will have been quite large. To me the pot it has been put into is smaller than ideal which makes watering sufficiently more difficult.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
            Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
          • tommymcg

Retired
            Ratings:
            +1
            Hi Thanks for your advice in the past. Changed the size of pots and some greenery is returning. What should I feed them on? Thanks Tommy

Attached Files: