1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Topping up the water level?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by WolfieKate, May 24, 2011.

1. WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Marketing, then Mum, then tbc!
    Ratings:
    +150
    Do you do this? After many weeks of fairly dry weather my mini preformed pond is very low... one of the water lily pots is basically level with the water. I know tap water has chlorine in so can I top up with mineral water. I know that sounds a bit bonkers but as it's only a little pond I could buy some.

Thanks!

Kate

2. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    Kate

i top up my ponds with tap water but as its so little it doesnt have a bad effect - if you just have to top up a little pond i would use the spray on your hose and fill up a bucket with tap water; let it stand for a couple of days and then use it - rainwater would be better though if we have any rain that is

Loopy

• Like Like x 2
    • WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Ratings:
      +150
      Thanks Loopy

I'll fill buckets and leave it out I think. I didn't top it up last year but it's got really low, down to half it's normal height. I should set up some kind of system to collect rainwater too. Thanks!

Kate:)

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Wolfie,

Loopy is right, the chlorine will evaporate in 24 hours, also the temperature will adjust to the same as the pond, so as not to shock any plants or wildlife:thumbsup:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,035
      I just put the hose in mine and top it up, been doing it for years with no ill affects to fish or frogs.
      The fish are Goldfish BTW.

Do it often, that way you only add a small amount in relation to the rest of the water, let it get too low, and you need to add a large amount in one go.

• Like Like x 1
      • WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Ratings:
        +150
        Thanks Pete

I'll not let it get so low in future. Little and often toping up is probably better. I have lots of snails and grubs and stuff. But no fish so I'm probably being over cautious! Only built it last year.

Kate :)

• waterdamage

waterdamage Apprentice Gardener

Photographer
        Ratings:
        +0