1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Topsoil for new lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by ric1982, Mar 22, 2021.

1. ric1982

ric1982 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I am in process of laying new lawn and will need topsoil for this. The current ground did water logged in Dec-Jan will need to create a sokaway and drain before putting topsoil.

Anyway, I have been shopping online and I dont know much about topsoil apart from what I find on google. There is a garden center nearby (earlswoodglc - reputable in the area - solihull) which is selling them at very reasoable rate (actually cheaper then any other topsoil retailer I found) £50 for bulk bag (800 KG).

The decription says follows:

As the name suggests, Multi-Purpose Topsoil is ideal for a wide variety of applications around the garden.
    A light, nutritious soil blended with green waste, bark finings & loam.
    Excellent manufactured (blended) soil for a variety of uses; from growing to laying turf, this can do it all.

PH level of 7-8.2

It doesnt say anything about screening or BS standard. Also the PH level seems to be too high for the turf?

Any thoughts of this looks like a reasonable product atleast on paper?

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,599
    The description is not topsoil Ric, it's of compost and compost will rot down, unlike soil. If they are selling it as topsoil then they should be told it is illegal. There is no such thing as multi-purpose topsoil.

• Like Like x 1
    • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
      Ratings:
      +4,578
      Going by that description I would call it organic garden mulch, its certainly not top soil.
      If your on face book, type "top soil" in the search bar, in the filters put your location and distance, you might find someone local.

• Like Like x 2