Totally Amazed Just Seen A Hedgehog In Our Garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by intel, Apr 6, 2018.

1. intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
    +497
    Just been blown away, found a Hedgehog in our garden :) gave it some cat food and left it in peace, went back 10 minuets later and the food and Hedgehog were gone, so looking at buying a hedgehog box so hopefully it will stay here :) 20180406_220225_resized.jpg 20180406_215237_resized.jpg 20180406_215925_resized.jpg

• Like Like x 11
    • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      Ain’t seen one for ages :sad:

• luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
      Ratings:
      +6,899
      That is excellent news :). Do keep putting out food, it will be back! A bowl of fresh water daily too will be appreciated:)

You can make a feeding station, if you wanted to keep the food dry should it be raining some nights and protected from any cats scoffing it. They are simple to make with a plastic storage box, a few bricks and a tile or patio slab:). You can buy ready made wooden one too.

You can make hog houses if you are handy. Several places on line have instructions . There are many kinds of houses for sale and some of them, although they look good, are not that great from a hedgehogs perspective. They need a lot of extra insulation and waterproofing added. The choice, of course, is yours. I have the Eco Houses, bought from Riverside Crafts. I've had some of mine for 5 years and they have stood the test of time, no leaks or rotting wood. They don't need insulating or waterproofing but a piece of roof felting or pond liner could be put over the top of the house if desired.

• Like Like x 5
      • Sheps

Sheps Keen Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,101
        Lucky you and some good advice from, Lucius :)

I can also vouch for Riverside's hoggy boxes, I have both the feeding station and the rescue box which has a little more room in it ( the guys made it special as it was discontinued at the time ) and both are top quality and will no doubt last for years.

IMG_2343.jpg IMG_2386.jpg IMG_2385-2.jpg

• Like Like x 5
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,486
          Lovely creatures....at least one comes here.:)
          I will look into those Riverside hoggy boxes......will I have to pay extra council tax on them?:snorky:

• Funny Funny x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Sienna's Blossom

Sienna's Blossom Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,875
            So lovely, I'd love to have hedgehogs come into our garden, we leave out water for in a bird bath on the ground and did buy some hedgehog food but haven't seen any yet. My little girl would be over the moon if we ever do get them in the garden. Gorgeous little creatures.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
              +172
              Very nice. Suggests that there is a healthy ecosystem in and around your garden. All my neighbors use slug pellets etc. Pretty sure poisoning their food sources doesn't help these guys much . They then wonder why they have a slug problem

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +5,078
                Glad youve got one.

We have some running about . Havent had my big bonfire as of yet just incase theres one hiding in there.

Its just a shame that the oh so lovely badger population has been allowed to explode resulting in the hedgehog population to collapse.

• Like Like x 2