totaly new please help

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by cannonian, May 17, 2011.

1. cannonian

cannonian Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I'm totally new to gardening and have just bought a small green house I want to grow salad items I.e cucumber tomatoes spring onion beetroot strawberries and herbs can I grow them in grow bags and is it too late in the year to start any help would be much aprichated as I'm clueless with garding

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,130
    Hola and welcome!
    You are a little late for sowing but not for buyiong small plants from a nursery or garden centre. I'd put your toms and cucumbers in growbags in the greenhouse and the rest grow outside.
    There's lots of advise available here so if there's anything specific you need to know we're here to help!

3. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    Your a little late to sow tom and cuc seeds, buy plants of these and also your strawbs and herbs. Spring onions, beetroot, lettuce and radish can still all be sown and as Loofah said can be outside.

For your herbs try the supermarkets pot growing herbs things like Parsley, Basil, coriander and chives can all be grown on at home...Basil might prefer the heat of the greenhouse.

Steve...:)

4. Lad

Lad Gardener

Senior Consultant
    Ratings:
    +46
    Its not too late you will get toms and cucumbers later than normal. May is now the time to sow anything.

I have spare Tomato plants, where do u live?

5. cannonian

cannonian Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you for all your help unfortunatly lad im a bit far away in stockton on tees but thatnk for the offer

6. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,834
    Hi Cannonian, welcome to Gardeners Corner:D:thumbsup:

7. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    For a first go at tomatoes I think Plum is best.
    They are a smaller plant and very fruit profusely. The youngsters just pick and eat straight from the Greenhouse.
    The plants are available up here for £1.50 or there abouts.
    Stockton is South of here so there should be no problem with getting right into it.
    My Cucumber and Peppers were also from Garden Centre plants and are 12"+ with fruit visible.
    The Tomatoes are at the 2 truss stage.

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I disagree. Greenhouse cucumbers will take 10-12 weeks from sowing to fruiting, so that would be getting close to August. Outdoor ones would be 12-14 weeks, so maybe not until September even ...

A decent plant (not some pathetic 2" tall seedling!) from the local garden centre will be fruiting in 4 weeks, maybe less. So mid to late June.

Tomatoes take even longer from seed-to-fruit. Maybe as much as a month longer than Cucumbers ...

9. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,603
    :scratch:

Blimey Lad, yesterday you were advising people to sow tomatoes in January, today it's May, split the difference and you might be about right. :dbgrtmb: