1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tough gardening gloves needed.

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Wobblycogs, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Wobblycogs

Wobblycogs Gardener

retired Interloper
    Ratings:
    +73
    Hi Folks.

Come the autumn, (when a colony of wasps has deserted it nest!) I have to buy a good hedge cutter, to dispose of an invading clematis, a big bramble 'triffid', and a Pyracantha. I shall have to handle the waste to get it reduced and placed in the 'garden-waste' wheelie bin.
    Can someone advise me on a make of effective gardening glove, bearing in mind the bramble and the Pyracantha?

Thanks in anticipation.
    John :blue thumb:

2. alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,073
    • Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      I find gauntlets better than gloves for the likes of reaching into thorny hedges for pruning, or grabbing armfuls of prickly stuff for disposal. I can't remember where I got mine from, but they look something like this

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
      • kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
        Ratings:
        +4,586
        I use KSR Ansell Edmont. 22-515.

Dunno where you'd buy them though. I get mine given to me by a Safety Goods Wholesaler.

They're very slightly fluffy on the inside and the outside is like glass paper, really grippy. They're brilliant.

EDIT: Here's a web link to them. http://www.activeforever.com/ansell-ksr-vinyl-coated-slip-on-gloves#.U-jgBPVOOUk

By the way, get size 10 unless you have very small hands.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
        • Wobblycogs

Wobblycogs Gardener

retired Interloper
          Ratings:
          +73
          I'd like to thank everyone for the response. I have managed to find a good pair of leather, gauntlet-type gloves, which are supposed to be good even with Pyracantha! they weren't cheap mind, but they should outlast me. (If they don't, well I hope it's because I shall be around for another 30 years! :snork: )

Now it's a search for a good set of hedge trimmers to tackle the jungle. :psnp:

Thanks again everyone

John :dbgrtmb: