1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Trachelospermum jasminoides aka Star Jasmine

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sam1974x, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Questions about Trachelospermum jasminoides aka Star Jasmine .....

Have been reading on the net for a while today about this and a few sites have this down as being a 'self clinger' - is this true from anyones experience ? A lot of sites say it is, but then ive found some that dont mention it at all.

Also some places say its vigorous, yet others say its slow growing until a couple of years old and then it grows more rapidly ?

:)

2. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    When a Client of mine had it in her garden, I wasn't impressed with it at all. I'm sure that there are much better specimens that would do the job. I can always remember when pruning it, there was a horrible white sticky sap which puts me off, and I can not remember it flowering greatly, and this was a 'mature' specimen. As for the 'self clinging' I think it was more of a twinder rather than a sucker type clinger.

Hope this Helps!

3. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Plant1star :)

Yes, I found a couple of sites last night that also said it was a twiner. Just wish all sites would actually have the correct information !

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,506
    Mine twines itself through plastic riigd netting, don't think it would cling to anything without help.

5. charlieH

charlieH Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    T j is defintely not a self-clinger; it needs wires, trellis or some other support. And what you have read about its speed of growth is correct; it can take a year or two to get established, but then is reasonably vigorous (though not stupidly so).

Unlike plant1star, I think it's a great plant! It's an evergreen climber, so good for year-round cover for ugly walls etc. Unlike so many climbers, it has the great virtue of staying clothed right down to the base, instead of rushing up to the top of the wall or fence and then getting bare and leggy below. It's more or less free of diseases and pests (so far as I've found so far) and needs minimal maintenance, though can simply be sheared back if needed. Its flowers have a wonderful spicy scent provided they're planted in full sun - it will flower a bit in shade, but is much better in sun and seems to need direct sunlight to bring out the scent.

It isn't entirely hardy, though certainly this doesn't represent a problem here in London. I don't know how far north it will survive, but I did see a couple of specimens flowering nicely last weekend near Stamford in South Lincs, so should be OK in the Midlands. The leaves often turn red in winter (a bit like a bergenia), and I've seen them drop their leaves if really hammered, but they will recover and flower again within a few months.

6. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks both :)

Strongy - the plastic netting you refer too ... is it like the green wired stuff that you see in places like wilkos on a roll ? If so, is this tough enough to last and what do you attach it to the wall with ?

Charlie - glad you like it, I also think it looks very nice and sounds lovely .... the 'minimal maintenance" is also very appealing!

7. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,506
    Brown, bought of the roll in a GC, .stapled on to a fence panel.
    It can grow fast and will eventually become heavy so it does need pruning and support.

Will post a pic tomorrow, not enough light now.
    Even here it suffered during the winter but it was an unusually cold one.

8. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    ok thanks :) Cant staple it into the wall though lol

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,506
    This is the netting I used. No you can't staple it to a wall but could use small hooks in the mortar.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    I found something on ebay last night I like the look off ,..... not really trellis but nevermind!

[​IMG]

Needs a paint up but its almost 8 ft high by 5 ft wide. Emailed the bloke last night and he wants a tenner for it. He will even drop it round to my house at that price too !!

Thought I could buy two plants and train one up each leg and then once they start bushing out, run some wire in the arch part for it to climb on. .... thats the idea anyway :)

Have found some Trachelospermum Jasminoides for sale - one x 4ft and one x 5ft for £42.00 inc delivery ... not sure if thats cheap or expensive. (currently trying to get the price down a few quid mind!).

Any ideas on what I should be expecting to pay for these ? I can get 6" ones for £3.50 but thought I might be best buying larger most established ones so the wait isnt quite so long ? Any thoughts ?

11. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Well the Wrought Iron Trellis was delivered by nice man yesterday afternoon and the two Trachelospermum Jasminoides should be here tomorrow :)

Went for the dearer ones in the end .... just hope they are nice !

12. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    You have a good eye, It will really set off that wall, and just to be really artsy on you, it would looklovely if it were to frame one of those outdoor mirrors-especially once the jasmine has worked its magic and frames off the whole thing. I have seen it done using a wrought iron gate, it looked brilliant-like a corridor through to another part of the garden-they even made a fake path up to it to complete the look with a planter facing it a little further offto draw the eye through it.

That's a lovely piece of garden jewellery

13. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Ahhh great mind think alike !!! :)

I had already been looking for a large outdoor mirror to fit inside the curve, but havent managed to find one yet that is either the right shape, or that doesnt cost an absolute fortune !!! Will keep looking though.

Have a manic weekend ahead, but am going to try and get a few spare mins here and there and finish the paint job the previous owner started (well inbetween packing for two kids who are going away for 4 weeks, taking the dog back to the stud for mating twice, sorting out the new fish tank we brought for our turtles .... and all the usual stuff that happens at the weekend lol)

Downside is that the lady at the end of the garden, who's wall is it, seems to have gone on holiday! Keep going round to ask/tell her what I am doing but no answer :( Other half thinks its really cheeky I am also going to ask her if she is planning on painting her peeling fascia boards but I dont think it is .... esp as Im going to offer to paint it for her, if shes not getting it done !

14. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Well my plants arrived .... and I am over the moon :) :) :) They are bigger than I thought and have flowers on too !!!

Quick pickie taken - obviously not in position or anything, just where the wrought iron was dumped!

[​IMG]

One is really tall - taller than me and I am 5 ft 4

The other comes to my nose but it really thick and bushy too

Am impressed :D

15. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    That wrought iron arch is a great find Sam! Good on ya!