1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Trachelospermum jasminoides question

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Wispymisty, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Wispymisty

Wispymisty Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

It looks like a lot of you have experience of this plant so I hope someone can give me some advice.

I have a wire fence at the end of the garden that l borders a field. Currently we have brambles and a dog rose on it, but there is a bare-ish section (especially in the winter) and I'd like to plant an evergreen climber.

I thought Trachelospermum jasminoides would be a good option but I'm wondering how it will cope with the bramble - is it likely to be able to hold its own once established? At the moment the bramble has been cut right back to base, although already springing back up, but we don't want to get rid of it completely as we love the fruits :o)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

2. Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    I must admit, never thought about these two plants as companions, once established the Trachelospermum will be fine, as long as you keep the Bramble in check, which sounds like you do.
    Be a bit careful with the Tracelospurmum with prelonged frozen ground, they dont like it too cold for too long, and I would, becareful when applying feed, I would use a slow release for the Trachelospurmum, and avoid feeding the bramble, atleast until the other is established.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Wispymisty

Wispymisty Gardener

Ratings:
      +7
      Thank you so much for your reply, I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner we had some family health issues.

Thanks again

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
        Ratings:
        +1,200
        No problem, replying is not mandatory, family is.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Wispymisty

Wispymisty Gardener

Ratings:
          +7
          Thanks, I just always feel so rude if I don't answer

• Friendly Friendly x 1