1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

trachycarpus fortunei please help.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by paulyervant, Mar 17, 2010.

1. paulyervant

paulyervant Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a trachycarpus fortunei it was in lovely condition when it arrived in early febuary. I left it in it's pot near the house wall. A couple of weeks ago I potted it up into a larger pot with john innes no3 compost watered it and placed the pot in it's final position on the front garden, Since then the leaves have started to go brown and the whole thing looks very sorry for its self. Is it a lost cause.The pot is terecotta with good drainage.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Paul.. I am no expert on them but there are others on here who are & they will be along, but the only things I would say is when you re-potted it you did make sure it is very free draining I use a mix of #3 well rotted bark chippings & some extra gravel to make it drain well, also they do not like to be in exposed conditions & are very susceptible to wind burn.. Also very hard frosts will damage them too they do need some protection from them.. Is your front garden exposed..??

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,725
    Hi Paul,
    First thing that comes to mind is that maybe it had been grown "soft", bearing in mind it looked so good when you got it.
    It may and I'm only saying MAY, have been taken from under cover and the Feb frosts have given it a bashing.

Another thought is, its a bit early in my view to be potting on, I tend to wait until the roots are starting to move, as it just sits in cold wet compost with no root movement until probably May or June.

Trachys are as hardy as old boots once established so dont give up on it.
    Your location would help.

Can you post a picture?

4. paulyervant

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    Thanks for your replies. I think the pot is free draining enough, I placed crocks in the bottom of the pot and the pot is only maybe 2 inches bigger than the original pot it was in. The area of the front garden it is in is not too exposed. But I strongly suspect that it was grown soft. It still looked great after all the snow we had but I think it may have been the frost.
    So should I cut of the dead looking leaves. Is there any way to tell if it still has life in it.
    I live in Leicestershire, and have had chilean glory vines and bananas come through this past winter. And all my datura survived in my unheated green house, but obviousley these were aclimatised slowly to the bad weather.

Thanks

Paul.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,725
    Paul dont give up on it, give the growing point a tug and see if it pulls out, thats the usual sign that a palm has got too cold and rotted in the crown.

Even if it has its not necessarily the end, but the plant might not look good for a couple of years or more.

6. paulyervant

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your help.
    It's much appreciated.